Job Title: Scientist I, Molecular Biology
When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Location/Division Specific Information
The Thermo Fisher Scientific Research Services Group in Santa Clara is looking for a highly motivated, creative thinker who can be part of a team focused on high throughput genotyping, DNA copy number, and DNA extraction. This job requires a dedicated individual, who is a quick learner and enjoys challenges.
How will you make an impact?
The Research Services Labs provides customers with service offerings for microarray platforms such as Axiom, Oncoscan and Gene Expression and other Next Gen Genotyping platforms using sequencing technologies. We provide customers with an opportunity to test our platforms and prove their efficacy. We have both internal and external customers from both industry and academia studying a large variety of subjects and organisms.
What will you do?
We have multiple lab environments in our subunit and every candidate hired is thoughtfully assigned to any of four environments outlined below based on previous work experience -
- Train in low throughput genotyping assays such as Oncoscan and Gene expression; this requires use of multi-channel pipettes, reagent preparation and sample tracking.
- Training in high throughput genotyping such as Axiom or Eureka Genomics; this requires the use of automated liquid handlers and timed schedules.
- Provide assistance in the pre-PCR lab environment performing quantitation and normalization of nucleic acids utilizing automation
- Train in a BSL2 space for nucleic acid extractions for each of the aforementioned platforms.
Other general laboratory duties include –
- Data entry into laboratory information management system (LIMS).
- Be responsible for calibration and preventative maintenance of assigned equipment. Documentation of these activities.
- Fill out inventory sheets for material consumed on a daily basis.
- Assist team in stocking/restocking materials and shipping/receiving customer samples.
- Keep lab benches clean at all times, especially before leaving at the end of their day.
How will you get here? Education and Experience
- BS in biological sciences fields such as Biology or Biochemistry
- 1-2 years laboratory experience (can be derived from academic internships)
- Basic laboratory techniques required such as pipetting, solution preparation, PCR, gel electrophoresis, optical density measurements, Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) etc
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Individual must work well in a team environment
- Excellent at record keeping and highly organized; neat and tidy and cognizant of shared lab space
- Seeking challenges
- Capacity to learn new technologies/concepts rapidly and apply them to the needs of the lab
- Willingness to work weekends and possibly an evening shift