Sales Application Support m/f – Instrument Specialist in Laboratory Automation (home based)
Job ID: 64434BR
Location: Home based in central Europe
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $20 billion and over 67,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Our four premier brands – Life Technologies, Thermo Scientific, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
Are you passionate about science, technology, robotics? Then imagine working with a team of engineers, scientists and vendors of advanced instrumentation, to create and configure industry leading laboratory automation systems.
We are seeking an additional team member to join our team of Applications Scientists within the Laboratory Automation business. You will be responsible for configuring automation systems for our customers utilizing the latest Thermo Scientific and partner products.
What we think is great about the role is that you will engage with customers in conversations in order to understand the science they are trying to automate and their technical automation requirements. It may be synthetic biology one day, high content screening the next and then on to genotyping for crop development! The breadth of science we get to serve is a big part of what motivates us every day.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare system configurations, layouts and quotations to a high degree of technical accuracy
- Prepare cost/margin estimations and advance them through the approval process
- Prepare other accompanying documentation as needed such as RFP responses, throughput analysis, proposal documents, workflow diagrams and technical capabilities
- Provide demonstrations of the Thermo Fisher Scientific Laboratory Automated product line to customers and employees
- Provide advice and support to management on applications and technical issues
- Participate in the development and testing of new products and identifying potential target markets
- Attend “Kick off” and “Close-out” project meetings in order to handoff and gather feedback on purchased systems
- Work with Integration team members to ensure customer requirements are clearly understood and that systems are built to specifications
- Attend and/or participate relevant trade shows and meetings
- Keep current with developments in the fields that utilize laboratory automation
- Provide feedback on common customer issues/comments/suggestions to product managers and engineering
- Establish an engagement model with 3rd party instrument vendors to ensure that vendor peripherals can be easily and economically incorporated into Thermo Fisher Laboratory Automation Systems
- Maintain 3rd party instrument resource library, and become the go-to person for instrument questions and concerns
- Other miscellaneous duties as assigned
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Degree in, Biochemistry, Microbiology or related science discipline
- 3+ years of relevant experience in a similar and relevant function with automated instruments
- Applications knowledge in automated screening markets (Drug Discovery, Academic, Genomics, AgroSciences, Diagnostic, etc.…) is advantageous
- Understanding of technical issues related to laboratory automation, systems integration and scheduling software
- A keen understanding of laboratory instrumentation and what is required for integration suitability
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with internal teams, sales representatives, customers and 3rd party vendors
- Experience in modeling complex laboratory processes in automation scheduling software is recommendable
- Excellent interpersonal communications and presentation skills
- Technical documentation and writing skills
- Preferred: Familiarity with ERP systems (e.g.Navision)
- Preferred: Experience in operating robotic screening systems
- Fantastic interpersonal skills, and a proven ability to collaborate with a broad range of individuals and groups
- Valid EU driver’s license
- Very good English skills (written & spoken) is mandatory, additional languages are of advantage
- A good command in German is a plus
- Travel availability within Europe (over 50%)
We are looking forward to receive your application. Please refer to the above Job ID and include your salary expectations as well as your period of notice.