The BioPharma Services Division (BSD) of Thermo Fisher Scientific is focused on providing end to end clinical trial solutions for our customers. We don’t specialize in any particular therapy – we support them all. Our customers range from small biotech/pharmaceutical startups that lack expertise beyond R&D to large companies who prefer to outsource these services. We have the industry’s largest global footprint of FDA cGMP facilities close to clinical trial hubs around the globe so we can be where our customers need us - we provide the full suite of services in each of those hubs because we know there’s a patient waiting.
The Director, Human Resources is responsible for the overall planning and delivery of the HR function for Thermo Fisher’s Clinical Services team (a business unit within the BioPharma Services Division) based in Allentown, PA. This is a large, complex operation, comprised of nearly 700 colleagues, at all levels, with a considerable population of non-exempt employees. The position leads a team of Human Resource professionals aligning HR strategies and programs with business objectives while ensuring a positive, performance driven and collaborative work environment. This position will continue to drive the evolution of the HR function and credibility within the business. The position reports to the Senior HR Director North America & Global Commercial Operations for the BioPharma Services Division with a strong matrix alignment to the site General Manager.
- HR Strategy/Planning – Understanding business strategy and translating into HR priorities and initiatives; taking a proactive approach to identifying key people issues and opportunities; building strong business cases to support recommended courses of action; making effective recommendations between line and staff responsibilities; having credibility with senior managers as an effective business partner and with associate level employees as an objective and fair HR site leader.
- Employee Relations - Develop strategies to proactively engage site leadership in focusing and driving increasing positive employee engagement. Provide consultative services to managers and site leadership on a variety of issues related to motivating, coaching, managing conflict, and addressing performance and behavior concerns.
- HR Service Delivery / Technical Knowledge – Successfully planning, organizing and implementing significant HR initiatives; coordinating effectively across business, division and corporate HR groups to ensure smooth communication and program implementation locally.
- Relationship Building/Influence – Gaining respect quickly across multiple audiences, including non-exempt associates and managers, HR leadership and senior leaders within the division and broader organization; Approachable, open, collaborative while being assertive when appropriate; highly effective communicator with strong presentation skills. Supports and initiates opportunities to improve recognition and fairness onsite.
- Leadership – Providing strong leadership and direction to the onsite HR team; Effectively recruiting, motivating and leading both seasoned and early career talent in the delivery of quality HR services and the application of appropriate employment laws; objectively assessing and upgrading the effectiveness of the HR team, and appropriately managing team/individual performance in a dynamic business environment.
- A minimum of 10 years professional experience with at least 5 years of direct HR partnering experience, ideally in global, heavily matrixed, organization; at least 3 years directly managing others.
- Continuous process improvement experience such as six sigma, or similar preferred.
- Bachelors degree required; MBA degree highly preferred
- Demonstrated ability and experience in employee and labor relations to resolve a variety of highly complex issues and providing solutions aligned with business needs with a strong foundation in the application of employment law in business situations.
- Strong analytical skills; demonstrated ability to analyze and interpret HR data and make recommendations based on trend analysis.
- Ability to think systemically, consult and influence strategically with all levels of managers and leaders.
- Strong business acumen: an understanding of the key financial drivers and dynamics related to growth and revenue goals of an organization.
- Working knowledge of multiple HR functional disciplines (compensation, recruitment, learning and organizational development, employee relations and HR systems) required.
- Demonstrated ability to build credibility and effective relationships with site leaders and managers, HR partners at all levels, and associate level employees. Strong executive presence, excellent decision making skills and the ability to work with a high degree of discretion
- Demonstrated history of effectively managing and developing a team of Human Resource professionals
- Proven customer centric focus: ability to influence culture and create alignment between business goals, behaviors, and compensation systems that drive performance.
- Ability to deliver strong results with limited resources, under tight deadlines and with a high degree of accuracy.
- Effective leadership, management, and coaching skills; excellent interpersonal, collaboration and communication skills (oral and written) to effectively communicate across all organizational levels; managerial courage, ability to have effective critical conversations, using diplomacy and tact to diffuse high tension situations effectively.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join