Position Title: R&D Development Scientist
Position Location: Basingstoke
When you’re part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do challenging work, and be part of a team that values performance, quality and innovation. As part of a successful, growing global organization you will be encouraged to perform at your best. With revenues of $18 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
The Microbiology Division (MBD) sits within Thermo Fisher Scientific’s Speciality Diagnostic Group. Our customers worldwide trust our microbiology solutions for the diagnosis of infectious disease and detection of bacterial contamination.
As the global headquarters for the MBD division, the Basingstoke site is houses a large manufacturing base, scientific laboratories, as well as the corporate functions. The Basingstoke site makes a range of products under the Oxoid brand. Our products provide microbiological solutions for diagnosis of infectious disease and detection of bacterial contamination in industrial applications such as food and pharmaceutical arenas.
Products include molecular food safety products which enables testing of food to ensure that samples are free from pathogens. Samples can be tested for pathogens including E. coli O157:H7, Listeria, or Salmonella. Our R&D Food Safety Team work on the optimisation of enrichment protocols for new and existing molecular food safety products.
Headed by the R&D Manager, the team is comprised of 4 R&D Development Scientists and Senior Development Scientists. The Development Scientist works together with the team to test large volumes of samples and ensure the success delivery of projects.
- You will carry out food pathogen testing for the development, verification & validation of molecular food safety products including:
- Food sample preparation
- Sub culturing enrichment samples onto selective agars & interpretation of results
- Conducting molecular assay workflow (cell lysis, PCR)
- Performing microbiological confirmatory tests
- You will prepare culture media and other reagents;
- Analysing data and performance results, you will compare the performance of the assay through different methods;
- You will validate protocols for molecular products against standard methods including ISO/USDA-FSIS/FDA-BAM;
- You will plan and execute custom protocol investigations for new and prospective customers.
- You have excellent attention to detail and are able to maintain accuracy in a fast paced environment;
- You are a highly numerate and analytical individual with the skill to read and interpret scientific data;
- A highly organised individual, you are able to communicate effectively with your team to integrate priorities and successfully complete projects;
- You have good basic microbiological laboratory skills and techniques gained either through experience or education.