Thermo Fisher Scientific is seeking an experienced Sr. Manager Cost Accounting with a strong cost accounting background to join our team in Carlsbad, CA. The successful Sr. Manager Cost Accounting will oversee a team of cost accountants in the Life Sciences Solutions Group (LSG). In this position, the selected candidate will oversee the application of cost accounting policies and procedures, and provide guidance related to SKU level costing, annual standard cost roll, analyzing manufacturing variances and the capitalization of variances, to ensure consistent application across global manufacturing sites.
- Manage a team of three to four cost accountants, providing technical guidance, mentoring, and ensuring consistent application of accounting principles across the manufacturing sites.
- Provide cost accounting site analytics and provide support to local site leadership as needed for cost accounting and factory metrics
- Manage the process of assessing inventory for excess and obsolescence reserves based on corporate policy
- Participate in annual standard cost roll and margin move analysis
- Assist with the coordination and deliverables for quarterly reviews and annual audits performed by external auditors
- Assist with daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual management reports for cost accounting and site factory analytics.
- Prepare ad hoc reporting and analyses, assist with research on cost accounting questions and assist with special projects as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance/Accounting with 9+ years of experience including 3-4 years of cost accounting in a complex manufacturing environment
- Background in understanding and applying complex cost accounting principles including capitalization of variances, E&O reserves, and experience with rolling standard costs
- Ability to manage complexity well and demonstrated experience managing across functions and businesses to accomplish large scale goals in a large, multi-national public company environment
- Strong end-to-end process orientation with demonstrated analytical thinking, organizational skills and problem solving skills
- Ability to influence people indirectly and work with people in multi-functional roles
- Excellent written and verbal communications, presentation and influencing skills, including the ability to raise issues appropriately to the right level internally and with corporate office to resolve
- Prior experience working with financial software such as SAP, JD Edwards Enterprise One, Hyperion Financial Management and Hyperion Enterprise desirable
- Quick learner with an ability to adapt to change and excel in a very dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Inquisitive individual that thinks globally and has the ability to apply sound judgment based on US GAAP and fundamental finance concepts