At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The Anatomical Pathology Division (APD) provides laboratories with the broadest portfolio of instrument and consumable solutions, from specimen collection and grossing to advanced staining and cover slipping. The anatomical pathology product line includes Richard Allan Scientific, Erie Scientific, Menzel, Microm, Shandon, and Lab Vision.
The Controller is a key member of the financial leadership team, supporting the Kalamazoo site operations. He/she utilizes accounting and financial methods to drive improvements in existing and new systems, which enables leadership to proactively manage a growth-oriented business. The Controller is directly responsible for the site’s financial reporting, annual operating plans, policies, procedures and fiscal record maintenance. The person we are looking for will bring strong financial analysis and accounting skills together with business partnering abilities gained from within a matrix managed business. We are looking for someone who is totally focused on delivering and driving standards of excellence, someone who will take a hands-on approach to understanding current challenges, use depth and breadth of accounting principles and then use outstanding interpersonal skills to bring the management team around to new ways of working and delivering business success.
- Full Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow and Cost Accounting responsibilities, per US GAAP and Thermo Fisher Scientific Policies and Procedures
- Responsible for site compliance with all US GAAP requirements
- Responsible for site compliance with all TMO Policies & Procedures
- Responsible for month end close process, including reviewing of key reconciliations, supporting documentation, and financial results
- Prepares analytics and presents monthly financial results to senior management
- Responsible for preparation of the annual plans, and monthly and quarterly forecasts
- Responsible for consolidating financial results of the site
- Oversees Cost Accounting
- Ensures accuracy of Inventory valuation and manufacturing variance reporting
- Research, plan and implement programs that enhance organizational performance and productivity
- Provides and directs procedures and systems necessary to maintain proper records and to afford adequate financial and accounting controls and services
- Establish and maintain effective working capital management
- Directs preparation of capital appropriations requests, new product development/growth initiatives and cost reduction projects
- Provides and maintains key financial metrics; and reviews operating metrics for the facility to ensure facility meeting goals and forecasts
- Establish career planning and personnel development goals for the financial team
- Serves as Site Leader’s business partner and financial consultant
- Supervises department of 8 - 10 finance professionals, with 2 Direct Reports
- Provides commercial forecasts and guidance for revenue and bookings
- Helps to manage GPO contracts
- Develop a business partnership with functional leaders across the site to assist decision making and drive accountability.
- Implement related general accounting and financial policies and procedures while adhering to Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) practices, including internal and external audit management.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting and/or finance is required
- Manufacturing background with a strong knowledge of cost accounting, US GAAP, budgeting and financial analysis
- 10 years of relevant financial/accounting experience in a manufacturing environment, possessing strong working knowledge of GAAP.
- 7 years of proven leadership experience working within finance and accounting.
- Superior analytical and computer skills with experience utilizing analytical tools and databases along with an understanding of manufacturing (MPS/MRP)
- Dynamic, high energy leadership skills and effective communication skills with a collaborative approach to problem solving
- Results oriented, metrics driven leader with a root cause, permanent fix approach, continuous improvement approach
- Collaboration skills – Able to effectively collaborate with peers in other functions and with colleagues in other businesses or divisions
- Results oriented, metric driven leader that utilizes a collaborative problem solving approach to continuous improvement. (PPI, Lean and or Six Sigma manufacturing concepts and working experience a plus.)
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting and/or finance is required, CPA Preferred
- 10 years of relevant financial/accounting experience in a manufacturing environment, possessing strong working knowledge and experience with GAAP.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills.