As the world’s leader in serving science, Thermo Fisher Scientific is a driving force in the research, healthcare, industrial and applied markets, generating more than USD 17 billion in annual revenue. No other company can match our range of customer touch points – technologically, geographically or commercially. We help our customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment, making sure our food is safe and moving forward with thousands of important projects that improve millions of lives.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission - enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
The Applications Development Group creates and supports the realization of higher value through application specific product improvement across all products in the Materials Science Business Unit.
The Applications Development Engineer will be part of the applications development group and is considered the expert user of our SEM products. The Application Development Engineer is responsible for the development of world-class methods, processes and protocols to add value for our customers worldwide. This position will own the methodology and analytical development of SEM applications for MSBU Customers. They will plan, manage and drive advanced development projects and investigate and define new methods, processes and protocols for SEM techniques. This person will work closely with the Product Marketing team as well as the product development teams to ensure new product development is able to meet customers’ needs in a way that is consistent with the intended use of the product.
Evaluate new applications / solutions for viability in the pre-concept, concept and initiation phases of new product development. Plan and drive applications support and development throughout the entire Product Management Process (PMP). Identify and report software and hardware issues throughout the PMP process. Provide test plans, testing and feedback to engineering on end-use system performance, new design features, new hardware qualification and advanced use-case problem resolution. Perform demonstrations on pre-release products. Collect, compile and evaluate test data to determine appropriate limits and variables for process or product specifications. Develops Best Practice Documents (BPDs) for reproducible distribution of application implementation and training of customers by field applications specialists. Deliver cutting edge, specific marketing and sales collateral to the Product Marketing group for incorporation into marketing, sales training and sales material. Act as a business unit, sales and customer communication conduit to R&D and engineering regarding new hardware and SW features and specifications. Provide expert product use related technical support and guidance to Sales and Service Divisions, R&D, Manufacturing, Product Marketing, Customer Service and other departments as required. Conceive, plan, and conduct experimental research for advance applications knowledge as applicable to the use of Thermo Fisher Scientific products. Recommend and advise on technical direction for potential applications or use of products consistent with customer requirements and feasibility.
The ideal candidate for this position has a strong background in scientific experimentation or process development and a thorough familiarity with SEM and/or FIB/DualBeam operation, theory and technique. This person will be able to “think out of the box” and likes to be engaged in a variety of complex and creative tasks. They will enjoy solving the most difficult and advanced technical challenges in order to excel in this position.
The ideal candidate will possess the following combination of education, experience and skills:
- BS, MS or PhD University degree or equivalent in a relevant scientific field (for example: Material Science, Physics or Chemical Engineering).
- Demonstrated comfort with an industrial or corporate environment.
- Demonstrated experience with SEM and/or FIB/DualBeam operation, theory and technique is required. (5+ years using SEM and/or FIB instrumentation).
- Experience interacting with highly technical customers and customer groups. The ability to communicate complex technical concepts to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to systematically develop new and improved methods and protocols used in a failure analysis, characterization and experimental environment.
- Must be proficient with statistical methods and analytical SW such as JMP.
- Must be proficient in basic Microsoft office software products (i.e., excel, power point, word).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to provide critical interfaces between Customers, Product Marketing, R&D and engineering within the factory.
- Independence: Ability to independently diagnose, define and execute solutions in highly dynamic and ambiguous environment.
- Leadership: Make significant contribution to defining the framework and future direction of SEM and FIB/DualBeam products.
- Training: Ability to impart application specific knowledge internally and externally.
- Thrives in a dynamic team, can drive product improvement, and enjoys being exposed to a constant variety of complex issues that need to be resolved.
- Willing and able to travel internationally up to 20%.