Lead Manufacturing Scientist supporting FDS/Liquid Fills, reporting to the Manufacturing Sciences Manager. Works alongside three other Lead Scientists and six Manufacturing Scientists to provide technical support to manufacturing and the product range (Incidents, CAPA, QNs, Projects).
- Main point of contact for technical issues occurring in FDS/Liquid Fills.
- First point of call for daily production issues requiring M. Sciences support in the area.
- Attends the daily Tier 2 meeting in FDS/Liquid Fills
- Responsible for ownership and delivery of CAPAs in respective area.
- Works with the local Process Engineer to resolve technical issues and drive continuous improvement.
- Leads technical projects.
- Responsible for data analysis and root cause countermeasure activity to identify and prioritise improvement projects.
Other relevant jobholder descriptors:
- Plans their own work within the boundaries of a project, with the assistance of the Lead Scientist and Manufacturing Sciences Manager.
- Able to work alone, without precedent
- Actively involved in the decision process for the methods used in a project
- Strives for continuous improvement in their work processes
- Demonstrates the Thermo Fisher values (4 I’s), Integrity, Intensity, Innovation, Involvement
- Work on several projects simultaneously and balance changing needs
- Expected to recommend appropriate actions relating to project issues
- Problem solving, fixing routine methods, interpreting unexpected results, expected to highlight solutions to problems. Some expectation for problem solving outside their own team
- Influence customers (internal and external) with data to prove valid theories
- Establishes contacts within function and wider company
- Communication is a combination of one to one within team and presentation to groups as required
- Expected to give regular updates to assigned tasks at daily accountability meetings
- Maintains formal laboratory records and formal internal reports
- Interacts with other departments at their own level and above
- Assists in the training of new staff within their team
- Expected to research ideas and discuss within their function
- Sound knowledge of subject to interpret data and draw valid conclusions
- Role is mostly practical
- Expected to perform both bench work and project management tasks
The jobholder should hold a degree or equivalent in a microbiological (or related) subject.
Some experience in a microbiology laboratory and as an end user of Oxoid products would be of benefit, but is not essential.
The jobholder will be expected to handle class 2 (and 3, depending on vaccination status) microorganisms and hazardous chemicals in a safe manner, according to the department and company safety rules.