Job Title: Sr. Manager, Project Management
Requisition ID: 65559BR
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
Position Summary and Key Responsibilities
The Operations Sr. Project Manager (PM) manages and coordinates various high visibility and cross functional projects for Thermo Fisher Life Science Solutions Group (LSG) Global Operations. These projects may be contained to a single site location or may span multiple sites around the world. The PM will be responsible for managing multiple concurrent projects that will range from requirements through the development of the project charter, scope, deliverables, budget and management of all project related activities from initiation through project closure.
The PM is responsible for providing data and input necessary for proper project prioritization as well as managing the full project life cycle (initiation through project closure). The PM coordinates with the various LSG Operations and non-ops functions, where applicable, to establish project teams, communicate and collaborate with project sponsors, and provide structure and project discipline to the initiation, planning, execution and closure of assigned projects.
The PM is responsible for managing project scope, deliverables and communications to stakeholders which will include executive level reporting and presentations. The PM will work with the project and finance teams to establish project financials including capital and expense cost estimates and project benefit financials. The PM will work closely with functional managers to select and lead the project team members through the project life cycle to successful completion of assigned projects.
Responsibilities may include:
- Define the scope of the project in collaboration with sponsor and/or senior management
- Create a detailed work plan which identifies and sequences the activities needed to successfully complete the project
- Determine the resources (time, money, equipment, etc.) required to complete the project
- Develop a schedule for project completion that effectively allocates the resources to the activities
- Review the project schedule (and other key project deliverables) with peers, senior management and all other staff impacted by the project activities. Manage change control throughout the project life cycle.
- Determine the objectives and measures upon which the project will be evaluated at its completion
- Execute the project according to the project plan
- Develop forms and records to document project activities
- Establish a communication schedule (operating mechanisms) to update stakeholders including appropriate staff in the organization on the progress of the project
- Publish status reports on the project for management and sponsors
- Identify and monitor project issues and risks; mitigate as appropriate
- Monitor and report all budgeted project expenditures
- Collaborate with finance partner to manage all project funds according to established accounting policies and procedures
- Ensure that the project deliverables are completed on time, within budget and at the required level of quality
- Ensure that the project milestones are met
- Evaluate the outcomes of the project as established during the planning phase
- Document lessons learned during all phases of the project and conduct post project lessons learned reviews
- Hold project closure meeting
- As part of the PMO team you will be required to assume other responsibilities from time to time. This may include process improvement activities, training, etc.
- Coordinating and facilitating periodic operations project reviews
- Coaching, guiding and mentoring Project Managers within LSG Operations
- Other activities in support of LSG Ops PMO
- Perform operational assessments in advance of projects
- Minimum 5 years of project, program and/or leadership management experience
- Strong ability to organize and plan team activities toward specific goals and objectives.
- Strong ability to effectively communicate to project teams, sponsors, and executives
- Strong problem solving skills
- Travel 20-30%
Preferred Qualifications / Key Skills for Success
- Degree in project management, supply chain or business preferred
- Formal project management training
- PMP certification is a plus
- Broad knowledge of Operations or in-depth knowledge of supply chain or manufacturing
The ideal PM should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, succinct and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details/data/information/activities.
- Assess problem situations to identify and address root causes; gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
This position does not have relocation assistance
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.