When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
What will you do?
Thermo Fisher Scientific is seeking an experienced, multi-disciplinary UX Solution Owner to join the Global Experience Design Group. Focused on delivering product innovation through compelling user experience and creative designs, this role will be part of an exciting new area responsible for developing and delivering rich experiences across Thermo Fisher Scientific’s industry leading digital platform, to help scientists do their work more efficiently and with precision, enabling them to make our world healthier, cleaner and safer.
The UX Solution Owner will be focused on driving and creating a vision within a specific focus area of Thermo Fisher Scientific’s digital platform that will set the UX/creative direction across a variety of digital products (scrum teams). Focused on macro level UX strategy, the Solution Owner’s ability to drive a user-centric, consistent, and seamless vision across the products and amongst the other digital platform focus areas is critical. His/her ability to partner across the product management and UX teams will ensure the strategy is being distilled and executed upon at the product/scrum team level as well as verify the global design system is built to exceed user expectations at the solution/product level. The UX Solution Owner will be responsible for building out UX strategy as well as various fidelities of concepts/prototypes to help convey the vision. He/she will be responsible for an end-to-end UX workflow (research to visual design) to help inform and make decisions around new proposed patterns and design aesthetics as a part of Thermo Fisher Scientific’s global design system. Alongside user engagement and customer journey mapping, this role will include elements of providing creative direction to the respective scrum teams.
The UX Solution Owner is both business savvy and technically savvy, and will develop a deep understanding of assigned functional or product areas or solutions that involve more than one product. This person will understand relevant long-term business goals and product vision while having insight into current system functionality and business processes, thereby ensuring feasible alternatives are provided to meet the business need. The UX Solution Owner is an effective communicator and can proactively collaborate with business leaders, Directors of Product Management, Product Managers, Product Owners and engineering stakeholders to establish a holistic solution approach for the business areas assigned. The Solutions Owner is flexible and adaptable, and possesses natural problem-solving and coaching skills. He/she must develop a network of experts throughout the organization, industry and suppliers. He/she should bring or quickly develop company and industry knowledge as well as creative techno-functional solution-ing skills.
The ideal candidate is a brilliant problem solver, quick study, self-starter, and excellent communicator with a passion for great design, able to drive programs to completion and possess that rare blend of visual design talent, interaction expertise, persona mapping, and rapid prototyping skills. The candidate must possess a strong background in managing/mentoring others with knowledge of navigating a large global organization. The candidate will play a key part in determining the future design direction and user experience framework for Thermo Fisher Scientific. We are looking for a visionary solution owner who is hungry for the challenge of a lifetime and capable of taking software design to the next level. A roll-up your sleeves, hands-on, creative designer; we want a team player who thrives in a fast-paced, collaborative work environment that of a start-up style, balanced with the discipline and results driven mindset of a publicly traded Fortune 155 company. The candidate must be comfortable working across the entire UX lifecycle including UX research, UX strategy, UX design (UX/UI/visual) and UX optimization.
- 8+ years of design experience in interactive, mobile or web apps
- Experience in designing for SaaS based software and/or emerging technologies
- Expert knowledge of Abstract, Sketch, Zeplin and/or design tools) Skilled at rapid prototyping (e.g. Axure or comparable tools)
- Exceptional digital design skills
- Experience and understanding of user-centered design principles
- Deep understanding of understanding and applying brand guidelines including color and typography
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- Curious, with a strong sense of initiative, follow-through and ability to deliver results on-time
- Ability to manage multiple creative projects
- Knowledge in current design trends and technologies
- Ability to present and sell creative Product management experience a plus Science or industry experience a plus Experience working within a global agile methodology a plus
- Working knowledge of HMTL5, Bootstrap and CSS a plus
- Strategic guidance, creative direction, ideation, prototyping, marketing strategy, product design/visioning
- Translate user stories into interactive application wireframes, site maps and designs
- Develop site navigation systems and content information architecture
- Create click-thru prototypes using tools such as Axure and Balsamiq or comparable
- Leverage customer insights programs to develop user interaction design improvements
- Collaborate with behavior-based research programs to create persona models and use cases Develop high fidelity designs inclusive of screen layout, graphics, color & typography etc.
- Establish global design standards to ensure consistency across the digital platform
Bachelor's degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Digital/Graphic Design, Visual Communications or equivalent work experience, Portfolio Required