Pushing the boundaries of discovery
With more than 60 years of innovation and leadership, our company enables customers to find meaningful answers to questions that accelerate breakthrough discoveries, increase productivity, and ultimately change the world. We design, manufacture, and support the broadest range of high-performance microscopy workflows that provide images and answers in the micro-, nano-, and picometer scales.
Combining hardware and software expertise in electron, ion, and light microscopy with deep application knowledge in the materials science, life sciences, electronics, and natural resources markets, the worldwide team of 3200 people is dedicated to customers pursuit of discovery and resolution to global challenges.
Thermo Fisher Scientific acquired FEI Company in September of 2016 as a part of the Analytical Instruments Group (AIG) in the newly-formed Materials and Structural Analysis Division (MSD).
Check out these video’s to get more insight in what it means to work on our complex High-Tech Transmission Electron Microscopes (TEM). These high-end tools are being produced and developed in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
- Corporate organizationhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABSxT6Y099I
- Inside the Titan Transmission Electron Microscopehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wEmsDh_l_A
- How to make a microscopehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W6J_f4yVVg
- The installation of a Talos System at the University of Chicago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40rTgRq7iD0
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals. As the world leader in serving science, we empower our people to advance innovative technologies, develop meaningful solutions, and build rewarding careers. With revenues of $18 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our 55,000 extraordinary minds the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
The Technical Lead Firmware will be part of an enthusiastic team in the Enabling Modules and Technology group. This group is responsible for the development of modules and technologies, focused on platform infrastructure for Transmission Electron Microscopes (TEM). You will be the team lead and technical lead for the firmware infrastructure team. You will be responsible for the platform communication layer and you will be the interface towards other development teams (software and firmware).
As Team Lead, you need to be able to act on multiple levels:
- Process and project: you are organizing the backlog of your team, supporting and aligning your firmware process with other parts of the organization. You are able to lead a change process in order to align way of working towards other parts of the organization
- Technical: you are responsible for the for firmware architecture and roadmap and are making sure that the team delivers high quality maintainable firmware
- People: you mentor and coach team members
- Co-development: at the same time, you are hands-on busy with firmware development, like all other team members (50%)
The successful candidate will possess the following combination of education and experience:
- Typically requires, BSc or MSc degree in Computer Science, Electronics, or related technical discipline.
- 7+ years’ experience in embedded SW development for high-tech equipment
- Must demonstrate clear ability to develop effective integration firmware for complex, high-performance real-time operating subsystems and components, in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Object Oriented Design and/or State Modeling
- Electronics (Analog and Digital)
- Embedded C++
- CAN, RS485, Ethernet, SPI bus
- TDD, Unit testing
Further preference given for hands on experience with one or more of the following areas:
- Agile/Scrum Development
- EtherCAT, SNMP
- STM32 uC family. Micro-controller with ARM-CPU
- ThreadX, FreeRTOS,
- Static code analyzer like TICS
- Configuration management (Git, RTC)
- Continuous integration
- Build and test automation
- JTAG, IAR
- System-on-Chip in an embedded environment (e.g. Xilinx Zynq platform)
- Model Driven designs
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills are required due to the high degree of interaction and collaboration
- Team player
- Ability to lead change
- Strong analytical view combined with pragmatic attitude
- Result orientated
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.