When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The Technical Support Engineer is responsible for supporting the installation, uptime and repair of complex equipment and systems. This includes working with CT (Corp. Technology), Applications and OE (Operations Engineering) on new and existing product developments, development of advanced troubleshooting methods and leading product and process improvements. This position is located in Hillsboro,OR
Responsibilities and deliverables include but are not limited to:
- Partner closely with the field service team to quickly diagnose and repair our equipment
- Partner with Marketing, CT, Applications and OE in developing technology roadmaps, to bring in the service related requirements and to sustain support through the life of the system.
- Influence and drive MTTR, MTBF
- Define service tools, repair and installation work instructions
- Define spares parts (including consumables) and associated work instructions
- Define all diagnostic and test procedures required for support of systems
- Provide feedback to product quality teams, analyze and initiate improvement projects on systems and subsystems as required.
- Gives primarily input or develops advanced troubleshooting documentation. Validates service advanced troubleshooting documentation and software.
- Cultivate and develop positive working relationships with FSE’s, Applications, other GTS groups, Development and Operations.
- Typically requires a University degree in Applied Physics, Electronics, or Electro-Mechanics. (Associates minimum, Bachelors preferred, or equivalent military training)
- Typically requires 5 years’ experience with service and/or manufacturing in high-tech industry or laboratory
- Comfortable in working with analytical equipment.
- All-round technical knowledge and practical skills Multidisciplinary trouble shooting skills
- Experience with analytical equipment (electronics, software, physics, mechanics) such as Electron Microscopes, Wafer Steppers, Medical Equipment (e.g. MRI-scan)
- Preferably experience with TEM or SEM
- Works with demanding customers and understands the importance of customer relations and intimacy.
- Self-starter who is also highly productive when not supervised.
- Project leader skills
- Traveling (20% - 30% of working time)
- Must have a business proficiency in English (verbal and written)
- Other language skills are an asset.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.