When you’re part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do challenging work, and be part of a team that values performance, quality and innovation. As part of a successful, growing global organization you will be encouraged to perform at your best. With revenues of $17 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
The Content Engine Organization within the Genetic Sciences Division (GSD) is a cross-platform organization designed to accelerate GSD growth. The team is dedicated to working across all genetic analysis platforms with focus on high-growth opportuities – developing applications for our foundational workflows – genotyping, gene expression and sequencing, and key applied markets such as infectious disease, pharmacogenomics, public health and oncology.
The role of Director, Medical Affairs will report to the VP of Marketing, and will serve as the strategic clinical leader for the Content Engine team primarily focused on the applied markets. This includes collaborating with Platform and R&D teams to assess, prioritize and develop customer content solutions and drive solutions across the genetic analysis continuum to solve for customers’ toughest scientific challenges.
- Has deep experience working in various therapeutic areas especially infectious diseases, inherited diseases and oncology. Can assess clinical value, analyze risks versus benefits and leverage technological advances. Has strong clinical trial and publication strategy experience. Can develop plans and facilitate key influencers to write white papers and generate publications in reputable journals to create awareness. This includes drafting and reviewing clinical protocols to advance our clinical interests.
- Understands trends in both conventional and molecular methods for diagnostics. Has strong knowledge of qPCR, CE, Microarray and NGS platforms and the corresponding content (applications) to meet applied clinical market needs
- Must be conversant with the clinical diagnostics (LDT & IVD) development process with demonstrated record of supporting successful submissions for CE-IVD, CFDA, and 510K/PMA approvals. Understands organizational requirements to design products/solutions, and can operate under the constraints of an increasingly compliance-driven environment
- Brings the customer and our impact on them deeply into the organization. Understands genetic analysis "sample-to-answer" workflows of various customer segments. Leverages diverse global experience across various stakeholders (labs, hospitals, clinicians, patients, payers and policy makers) to advance clinically relevant solutions globally. Very comfortable interacting with KOLs and building a strong KOL network
- A strategist who must be able to partner effectively with commercial and product development leaders to set the vision and execute towards it. Keeps Medical Affairs in sync with the rest of the organization – focusing on rapidly identifying opportunities and producing content, and preventing diversions e.g. irrelevant trials. Can influence and drive change without direct authority in large global matrix organization. Possesses high emotional intelligence to grasp the underlying dynamics and nuances within the organization and between its people
- MD or PhD in clinical pathology or biology, Board certified preferred
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a Clinical Pathologist or other experience in clinical or medical affairs
- Experienced in delivering presentations on clinical topics to global KOLs and hospital/medical/clinical laboratory staff
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain professional and personal relationships with key partners and customers positively advancing the organizational objectives
- Excellent communication, team-building, and leadership skills
- Demonstrated success working in a global, matrixed-environment with ability to influence without direct authority
- Effective negotiation skills
- Experience and demonstrated aptitude both managing and prioritizing multiple projects and initiatives.