When you’re part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do challenging work, and be part of a team that values performance, quality and innovation. As part of a successful, growing global organization you will be encouraged to perform at your best. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Job title - Technical Sales Specialist Leader
must have an international mind set understanding that he/she is working for a multinational corporation; yet, he/she must act regionally with a strong understanding of what makes business successful in a multicultural landscape such as Africa.
This individual’s responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to the following specific responsibilities:
• In partnership with other members of the senior management team, chart out the short and long-term strategic and operating plans for the portfolio
• Implement the commercial strategies, ensuring alignment with the global and regional plans. Achieve the business and strategic objectives – these must be competitive from both an Industry and regional perspective.
• Identify and evaluate market opportunities for growth – Engage in business development for emerging technologies or market segments.
• Ensure a financially sound operation with solid corporate governance and compliance. Plan and manage the business’s budget appropriately.
• Partner with other members of the management team, globally and in the region, to formulate cross-functional strategies for accelerated growth.
• Monitor market intelligence and keep abreast of competition; economics, and the regulatory environment.
• Lead a technically-savvy team; hire, motivate, and retain staff, to build a solid organization in this region, especially with team members based all over the Africa region.
- Offers regional input into various business units to facilitate a greater understanding of the global life sciences business
- Be a contributing leader of the Africa regional leadership team, driving collaboration to ensure achievement of growth.
CANDIDATE SPECIFICATION: KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
• A minimum of 6 years’ experience ideally in the Life Sciences industry, in sales / marketing / management, with a minimum of 1-2 years’ experience in a functional / specialist leadership role.
• Demonstrable understanding of business practice in the Life Science industry. Familiarity with funding practices with respect to the life sciences industry as well as an existing network of KOL and policy makers.
• Experience in managing or working with multiple functions i.e. sales / marketing, with exposure to / experience in non-sales functions i.e. R&D / manufacturing.
• Experience in managing or working with stakeholders in a matrixed environment preferably on a EMEA or global basis.
• An degree (masters or PhD) in a relevant Life Sciences is required. An MBA would be preferred, though may not be required for an exceptional candidate.
Critical Competencies for Success
Leadership skills – Proven ability to lead by example, and motivate people to embrace a vision. He/she is able to raise the energy level within the organization. A committed coach, people developer and team builder. He/she must be able to articulate his/her strategy to the team to ensure seamless execution. He/she will be able to influence people at all levels at regional and global organizations.
Operational Skills – This individual will be required to deliver the annual revenue and growth expectations with a highly diverse portfolio and team. He/she will have the ability to recruit, train, and develop an organization that is both high performing and sustainable.
Strategic and execution ability – The individual needs to have the ability to look at things from a helicopter view; to organize a task, set clear direction, follow up on a timely basis, and hold others accountable to a high standard. He/she will have broad knowledge on market trends and new business opportunities.
Success will be measured by
Overachievement of revenue against a defined plan
Faster than market growth (at least 5% in terms of share gain)
Employee engagement to be significantly higher than the company average.
Other Personal Characteristics
• Negotiation and persuasion skills.
• Business planning and analytical skills.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong relationship builder, with the ability to work effectively at all levels.
• Solid business and financial acumen,
Continually looking to improve processes and people, a change agent.
• A collaborative, result-oriented individual.
• A team player, with a positive attitude, and commitment to the development of his/her people.
Ability to operate in matrix environment
• Full valid driver license mandatory and clear criminal record