When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
How will you make an impact?
The Buyer/Planner performs all functions needed to ensure the lowest total cost of purchased raw materials and services for a site. The Sr. Associate Buyer participates in negotiations and commodity teams to implement proactive procurement philosophies (JIT, PAC, ReOrder Point, Reverse Auctions, E-commerce), strategies, policies, and procedures for successful integration into multiple business plans across various corporate departments. Additionally, a Sr. Associate Buyer may be responsible for preparing spend data, external and internal key performance metrics, and proposing process improvement and the generation or management of key reports, metrics, and projects. This is a service position and is responsive to the needs of internal and external (suppliers) customers. Role will include team participation.
What will you do?
Nature and Scope
Job encounters varying work situations, involving moderate complexity. Considerable independent judgment and initiative are required in resolving problems and making recommendations. Must demonstrate judgment, tact and diplomacy in dealing with internal and external customers. Initiative and organization skills are extremely valuable to ensure a smooth office operation. May determine methods and procedures on new assignments. The Buyer is responsible for the effective procurement of materials for the production schedule for a number of specific work centers or commodity classes.
Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies. Selects methods and techniques to obtaining solutions to problems of relatively routine to diverse scope and moderate to highly complexity, requiring analysis of identifiable factors.
Has contact with all levels of company employees as well as frequent interaction with vendors.
Receives technical and functional input as appropriate.
How will you get here?
Bachelors in business or technical or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years business experience
- High performance communication and execution skills
- Skilled in JD Edwards and/or SAP ERP, Microsoft Excel, Word, Power Point and Outlook
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Preferred APICS certification
- Knowledge of procurement processes and strategic supplier management
- Understand and execute per the purchasing policies and procedures
- Knowledge of business concepts/principles (terms and conditions, transportation, accounting)
- Knowledge and execution of supply chain programs (Consignment (PAC), JIT, VMI, etc.) and ability to manage project execution of these programs
- ISO or equivalent system, understanding procedures and requirements and change control (FDA, GMP, etc.).
- Responsible for purchasing raw materials from vendors
- Solicit quotations for materials and services, analyze bids for specification compliance, pricing, delivery commitments, and evaluate the sources to ensure they can sustain providing goods and services
- Effectively process expense and blanket purchase orders: negotiate delivery, terms and conditions and pricing, and expedite/follow through on receipt and payment.
- Monitors vendor and product performance to ensure compliance with contractual obligations.
- Communicates effectively with vendors and management of accounts, problem solve challenges and issues.
- Recognize problems, analyze and recommend solutions
- Experience in Invoice reconciliation and inventory management
- Manage local supplier relationships
- Negotiate supply agreements; Contract negotiation exposure and understanding of contract T&Cs
- Participate in purchasing performance metrics: purchase price variance, on-time delivery, Site Supplier Quality Scorecards, PO Cycle Time, Site Raw Material
- Understanding of Regional Government guidelines.
- In-house manufacturing and outsourcing experience
- All other duties as required or assigned
Works in an office environment. Must be able to work overtime and flexible shifts.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com