Thermo Fisher Scientific has an opening for a High Performance Computing (HPC) Engineer. The Senior HPC Engineer will administer and maintain varied HPC environments and other critical technology resources supporting R&D efforts throughout the company. Responsibilities include design, installation, configuration, system tuning, day-today support of operating systems and system administrative applications for multiple HPC, Linux, UNIX and cloud environments. The Senior Engineer will ensure performance, stability and reliability of the inherently complex and integrated systems of applications, servers, and compute platforms will meet our business needs and requirements. Qualified candidates will have the knowledge of high performance computing environments and administrative tools and software. This is an On-Call Position.
As a part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you will do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you will have the support required to achieve your career goals.
- In-depth Knowledge in computer architecture and broad knowledge in CPU, GPU, network, and storage technologies. Hands-on experience with computing hardware. Experience using High Availability Cluster products such as RHCS, VCS, HACMP or Oracle Cluster.
- Experience with HPC, Virtualized and distributed computing environments such as ROCKS, Beowulf, Sun HPC, VMware, RHEV and Hadoop.
- Knowledge or experience with cloud computing technologies such as Amazon AWS, OpenStack or CEPH. Expertise in cloud integration and migration methods is a plus.
- Expertise with LINUX Operating Systems (RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu, OEL, and SUSE)
- Familiarity with HPC scheduler and batch queuing products (LSF, PBS, Maui, Control-M, Tivoli and SGE)
- Experience supporting SAN, NAS and iSCSI based storage systems (EMC, Hitachi, DDN, NetApp)
- Proficiency writing scripts to automate production tasks (bash, perl, or python)
- Experience installing, configuring and maintaining monitoring products (Nagios, Zenoss, Solarwinds, Zabbix)
- Proficiency with source control, continuous integration and testing methods (git, perforce, svn)
- Experience with Next Generation Sequencers (NGS) and other instruments producing large data is a plus.
- Create detailed diagrams and schematics of existing infrastructure systems
- Develop and document workflows, processes and procedures for infrastructure system management
- Follow and effectively communicate & socialize our engineering standards to our global community
- Proactively identify systems requiring standardization and follow the proper process to standardize those systems
- Review processes and verify that best practices are being followed throughout projects and operational tasks
- Perform root cause analysis of issues to ensure mitigation prior to repeat issue
- Reverse engineer legacy systems and environments and propose solutions for a standard, supportable platforming
- Demonstrate expertise in systems engineering capacity within cross functional teams
- Work closely with the R&D teams for tuning and enabling optimized performance of their application
- Understand holistically how our systems impact our business and the applications we host
- Develop automation where appropriate to reduce or eliminate routine manual tasks
- Create and edit runbooks where needed for both on premise and the cloud routine procedures and operations
- Must be able to work with auditors to automate data gathering for audit from a current manual process.
- Work with migration teams (Cloud team/vendors) as a liaison to fully evaluate ensure continuity throughout cloud transitions
- Deploy new solutions in AWS and other cloud providers
- Bachelors’ Degree in Computer Science, Information Science, Information Technology or relevant field; equivalent work experience will be considered in lieu of degree
- 8+ years of related technical work, developing technical solutions
- Experience with cloud technologies highly preferred, both implementation and design
- Relevant technical certificates a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Produce clear documents describing how to build, configure, and test system designs.
- Familiarity with using help desk/ticketing tools (ServiceNow, Remedy)
- Excellent problem analysis and solving skills
- Ability to research emerging technologies and evaluate their suitability for use in new designs
- Successful candidate will have scripting skills for automation and aptitude for learning new tools
- Working and troubleshooting experience in the following areas: Linux, Solaris, patching solutions, scripting, various tools, and automation, with a focus on Linux
- Scripting skills for automation and ability to learn new tools and make run books where needed, enabling both on premise and cloud environments
- Experience in evaluating, revising and documenting IT processes and procedures that will be used to train L1 personnel.
- Ability to assume and complete assignments independently – driving to completion
- Ability to understand technical concepts to a broad audience
- Strong analytical and product management skills required, including a thorough understanding of how to interpret customer business needs and translate them into application and operational requirements
- Ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, including: executives, managers, and subject matter experts
- Experience with configuration and deployment of infrastructure and applications
- Experience with Agile Methodologies and using tools such as Ansible, Jira, Stash, Confluence
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.