Job ID :
Japan - Tokyo|Japan - Yokohama
- Functionally responsible and accountable for the following areas:
- Domestic Transportation
- 3PL and Logistics Provider and Customs Broker Management
- On-site Contingent Worker Management and Administration
- Reverse Logistics
- Freight Payments Process/Provider Management
- International Logistics
- Customs Clearance
- Trade Compliance
- Manages or oversees the carrier selection and evaluation program. Makes recommendations as appropriate for optimal transportation modes, carriers, routing, equipment, or frequency. Annual transportation, warehousing, customs clearance, and international logistics spend is approximately $12-$14 million USD.
- Negotiates or oversees the negotiation of freight rates, logistics and services agreements, and monitors trends in shipping patterns and lane utilization to minimize overall net freight costs.
- Analyzes distribution and logistical problems to develop solutions including hardware and software applications that drive accuracy, efficiency, and customer loyalty.
- Maintains Import/Export systems and processes, provides guidance and direction to the Import/Export team, and implements best or leading practices to ensure compliance with local, US, and corporate regulatory or legal requirements.
- Identifies and drives PPI (Practical Process Improvement) initiatives to maximize efficiencies, performance, revenue, profitability, and service levels
- Ensures the effective delivery of corporate initiatives, programs and directives in accordance with Thermo Fisher Scientific’s logistics sourcing strategy and financial plans.
- Implements and maintains a quality/failure escalation process for tracking and ensuring prompt resolution of customer service issue and product quality improvement
- Ensures consistent use of RCCMs (Root Cause Counter Measures) within service and provides annual training and monitors compliance
- Trains and coaches logistics and import/export staff in leading and implementing change
- Supports the leadership team in improvement project idea generation, project chartering, action planning and implementation
- Identifies and implements operational metrics and KPIs to drive the logistics organization to improve services levels and productivity
- Leads the initiative to standardize processes and document procedures within the logistics and import/export functions
- Leads projects and initiatives as assigned by manager
- Drives the use of Dploy and ensures consistent use of A3s and Bowlers by the leadership team and managers
- Partner with Finance personnel to evaluate project savings estimates, validate reported PPI benefits, and ensure accurate accounting of PPI Productivity
- Champion, track, measure and report on PPI savings and PPI Business System maturity monthly
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- In depth understanding of international and domestic transportation regulations. Strong understanding of global business and trade compliance.
- Ability to conduct critical analysis and assessments to develop action plans that ensure efficient, lean, and effective processes are in place to produce quality delivery of goods and services.
- Experience with documenting and systematically maintaining process procedures and formulating, documenting, communicating, administering, and monitoring adherence to company policies and rules.
- Experience in a continuous improvement environment with a track record of achieving significant logistics related savings year on year.
- Demonstrated strong business acumen, organizational and analytical skills.(preferred) software experience
- Logistics/supply chain certification desirable. APICS a plus. Bachelor’s degree in logistics management, supply chain management, finance, operations or business management
- Experience and in depth knowledge of Practical Process Improvement (PPI), or other recognized Lean business system. Working knowledge of other business functions; i.e., EH&S, Facilities, Quality, Planning, Finance, Maintenance/Engineering and Human Resources. Proven track record of building credible, reliable, customer focused teams.
- Customs Broker license preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative/integrative work style focused on accomplishing objectives. Solid computer skills (Microsoft Office), ERP (SAP, Oracle, E1, JD Edwards)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must have
- The ability to influence at all levels of the organization
- The ability to see bigger picture and envision step-change scenarios
- A collaborative approach
- Excellent interpersonal, time management, decision-making and conflict management skills
- High ethical standards to support a professional business code of conduct
- Passion for driving business improvement and leading change in a large, complex, global environment
- Strong coaching and facilitation skills
- Accomplished written, oral and presentation skills
- Able to travel domestically and internationally; limited
- Broad knowledge of multi-functional, multi-site, global organizational processes and financial business methods
- Detailed knowledge of quality theory and lean tools and methodologies