Job Title Mechanical Engineering Co-op, R&D
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
All of our employees share a common set of values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement. Our ability to grow year after year is driven by our ability to attract, develop and retain world-class people who will thrive in our environment and share in our desire to improve mankind by enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
If you share in our values and if you're looking for an employer who is strongly committed to developing talent and rewarding achievement, come grow with us at Thermo Fisher Scientific.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is currently recruiting for a Mechanical Engineering Co-Op based out of their Oakwood Village, OH facility. The Oakwood Village, OH facility is one of Thermo Fisher Scientific’s centers of excellence for R&D and manufacturing of radiation measurement and security instrumentation. Please visit www.thermofisher.com and search for Radiation Measurement and Security Instruments to learn more about the types of products manufactured at our facility.
How will you make an impact?
Your work will be in support of Field and Safety Instruments (FSI), a business unit of Thermo Fisher Scientific, who is the leader in field based scientific instrumentation and radiation detection equipment. Our products are used by the military, law enforcement, pharmaceutical manufacturing and industrial clients in metal fabrication, mining exploration and consumer product safety.
What will you do?
Explore new technologies and perform feasibility analysis for mechanical subsystems of a next generation analytical instrument.
Will be assigned tasks to support engineering changes for existing products, which could include root cause investigation, component selection, prototyping, production support, CAD design (Solidworks), analysis and simulation, performance and compliance testing...
How will you get here?
- Currently pursuing a BS degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Completion of at least one semester of core Mechanical Engineering classes
- Basic understanding of mechanical engineering design principles
- Advanced understanding and experience with SolidWorks
- Ability to understand mechanical drawings
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Enthusiasm to learn by doing
- Interested applicants are willing to engage in a wide spectrum of mechanical engineering disciplines and should be passionate about mechanical design.
- Applicants with an understanding and experience using advanced 3D techniques and simulation in SolidWorks, geometric dimensioning & tolerancing, and injection molded plastic design are a plus.
- Fluent in English language (Verbal & Written)
- Ability to lift up to 45 lbs.