When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Do you get a kick out of algorithmically solving complex problems? Do you dream about patterns in data at night? Do you want to create products that solve health care problems and save lives? If so, we’d love to talk to you about a new product we’re developing in the genetic analysis space. We’re looking for a top-notch Algorithm/Software Engineer who always sweats the small stuff and cares about impeccable code. Someone who can put themselves in the shoes of the customer, to feel their pain, their aspirations and to create solutions for them. We make laboratory instruments for qPCR/dPCR and DNA sequencing. Come join the genomics revolution!
- Creativity: You must be able to dive into new and unfamiliar systems and new ways to work. Think outside the box and ask the right questions. However, you don’t build science projects just because you are smart enough to build them.
- Math Skills: You must understand complex mathematical analysis, modeling and statistics.
- Root Cause Analysis: You need experience and skills in determining the root cause to problems. You have to be able to data mine and create new data visualizations.
- Teamwork: You enjoy working both alone and in teams, sharing ideas and co-developing algorithm code. You understand and know how to make a team more successful than the sum of the team members. You are humble enough to bend to the will of the frameworks, technologies and the people you work with when doing so won’t have a materially negative impact. Every task you take on, whether it’s scary and huge or tiny and boring, you are going to see it through to the best of your ability.
- Listening Skills: You know how to listen to customers, teammates and stakeholders. You can empathize with them. You seek out feedback from customers and initiate the feedback loop early in development.
- Communication Skills: You must be completely comfortable going one-on-one with the VP or giving a talk at an international conference. You understand that communicating is not about getting ideas out of your head but rather how to get your ideas into someone else’s. You see documentation as an art form not as an annoyance.
- Project Management: You break down everything into manageable bite-sized tasks with a predictable duration to complete. You know how to prioritize to stakeholder demands. You can develop a schedule that deals with risks and is realistic. You focus on shipping software that matters to the customer and the company.
- Continuous Learning: You love to develop new skills. You enjoy doing personal projects at home to explore new technologies. You desire to share your discoveries and to learn from other people.
- Software Skills: Must be proficient in Java, C++ and Matlab. You use design patterns regularly and could teach object oriented programming to high school students. You document your code for others and not for yourself. Code quality and reliability is your passion and not something done after it works. You have experimented with and survived many different types of “agile” development and project methodologies, from which you have developed your own best practice. You spend more time and effort on testing your code than writing it.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join