The Group Accountant will be responsible for statutory financial reporting and tax compliance across all Australia and New Zealand entities, ensuring the correct application of accounting standards and tax legislation. In addition, the Group Accountant will be responsible for group reporting for several local Corporate entities, tax effect accounting and ASIC and Companies Office compliance.
Statutory financial reporting
Preparation of financial statements for:
- one consolidated group in Australia, including purchase accounting, consolidation entries and impairment analysis; and
- four separate Australian subsidiaries.
Co-ordination and review of financial statements for:
- one consolidated group in New Zealand;
- two separate New Zealand subsidiaries; and
- two separate Australian subsidiaries.
Key contact for external auditors
Ensure statutory filing deadlines are met for all Australian and New Zealand entities.
Update Chief Accounting Officer of Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. on any local statutory accounting matters and issues, as required, explaining the local and US GAAP impact.
Income tax compliance
Preparation of annual income tax return for Australian tax consolidated group, including:
- consolidation of financial results for group members and elimination of intra-group transactions; and
- preparation of thin capitalisation calculations, Country by Country reporting disclosures, Consolidated Losses Schedule etc.
Co-ordination and review of annual income tax returns for:
- Australian Multiple Entry Consolidated (MEC) group;
- Two separate Australian subsidiaries; and
- New Zealand entities.
Key contact for tax advisors.
Ensure all income tax payments and instalments and accurately calculated and payments are made on time.
Group reporting for local Corporate entities
For seven local Corporate entities:
- Prepare month end reporting, including maintenance of general ledgers and balance sheet reconciliations;
- Report results in group reporting system; and
- Prepare annual supplemental reporting and Corporate Tax reporting as directed.
Tax effect accounting
Prepare tax provision calculations for Australian entities and review tax provision calculations for New Zealand entities at year end.
True up tax balances for all entities once income tax returns are lodged. Prepare return to provision analysis for all Australian entities/groups for submission to Corporate Tax.
Ensure tax balances in all entity general ledgers and the group reporting system are accurate and up to date
Other tax compliance
Fringe benefits tax: co-ordinate preparation of and review FBT returns for Australian and New Zealand entities.
GST: assist with GST queries as required from time to time.
Employee share scheme (ESS) reporting: co-ordinate preparation of ESS statements and ATO reporting with Corporate Compensation team and external consultants. Ensure ESS statements are issued to employees and ATO reporting is completed by due date.
Expats and assignees: co-ordinate with Corporate Compensation team and external consultants to assist in the preparation of individual tax returns for tax equalised employees. Ensure employer obligations are met.
ASIC/Companies Office compliance and ATO/IRD maintenance
Maintain corporate records for Australian and New Zealand entities, ensuring that all filings are made by required deadlines and that filings are accurate.
Maintain ATO portal and AusKeys for Australian entities.
Project related work
Continue to streamline and simplify corporate structure as required.
Consolidation of legal entities in Australia and New Zealand, including all statutory accounting matters (e.g. purchase accounting, other) and all tax implications (income tax, stamp duty, tax consolidation implications) in conjunction with auditors/tax advisors/lawyers.
- Degree qualified in Accounting/Finance.
- Professional Qualification (Chartered Accountant preferred).
- Experience in Chartered Accounting practice is preferred.
- Strong AIFRS/US GAAP experience.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in financial reporting and tax compliance.
Skills and attributes:
- Strong technical accountant with demonstrated experience in statutory financial reporting (including consolidation) and income tax compliance for multiple entities.
- Good project management skills to plan annual financial reporting and tax compliance programs across multiple sites with numerous Financial Controllers. Effective time management skills are essential.
- High level of attention to detail, results orientated and able to take initiative.
- Ability to work autonomously and under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- High level of integrity and professional standards.
- Takes responsibility for identifying issues and ensuring that effective solutions are found and implemented.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook). Strong Excel skills useful.