When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
The Sr. Manager R&D, Organic Chemistry will work with the Chemistry R&D Sr. Director and relevant Product Management personnel to set the departmental technical strategy and to review, define, prioritize, and execute the Chemistry R&D project portfolio.
- Designs, performs, and reviews chemistry and bioorganic chemistry research and development programs of increasing number, complexity, and/or diversity.
- Provides technical and management guidance and prioritization for the organic chemistry group.
- Works closely with R&D Managers and Technical Leaders to implement plans.
- Gives effective scientific, financial, and business presentations internally and externally.
- Maintains extensive knowledge of relevant chemical and biology fields and techniques.
- Advises senior management on complex technology issues and on optimizing business practices & direction.
- Attends scientific/management conferences and represents company/division through talks, tutorials, publications, and patents.
- Supports other departments such as manufacturing, technical service and quality by providing scientific guidance.
- Contributes well-considered ideas for new products and identifies new technologies of significant value to the company/division.
- Prioritizes projects and resources for new technologies for sustained growth.
- Builds business/technical case analyses with Product Management. Makes proposals with company/divisional scope to management.
- Represents the Company externally to commercial and academic partners.
- Represents the R&D department to other sites and divisions for cross-site collaborations, projects and implementation of cross-unit endeavors.
- Evaluates the schedule, scope, cost, and risks associated with research and development programs.
- Reads papers and business/market reports in depth in relevant scientific areas, and continually builds expertise.
- Advises on recent developments in the scientific community and amongst competitors.
- Maintains an accurate and detailed lab notebook and personnel records.
- Uses word processing, graphing, presentation and spreadsheet programs effectively.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills through formal and informal discussions with peers, team, colleagues, supervisor, and upper management.
- Serves as primary author of scientific publications (posters/papers) and presents at scientific conferences and external customer sites.
- Mentors and manages group effectively.
- Displays leadership across company and division.
- Effectively uses the project management and company systems.
- Multitasks and leads multiple projects and evaluations.
- Utilizes external network of researchers in areas of interest to company.
- Works with R&D Director to establish the departmental budget.
- Recommends improvements to departmental, site, and corporate practices and processes.
- Supervises 5-15 direct reports at Research Associate to Sr. Scientist level.
- Ph.D. in organic or bio organic chemistry with 5+ years of experience.
- Masters of Science with 10+ years of experience.
- Requires in depth knowledge of design and synthesis of organic compounds and materials, chromatographic and spectroscopic analysis, and documentation of results and procedures.
- Knowledge of chemical biology, protein science, and general cell biology.
- Knowledge of OSHA Lab Safety procedures and Universal Precaution techniques.
- Complies with all company safety, training, and quality regulations (e.g., ISO compliance, GLP/GMP requirements, etc.) and procedures
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join