Job Title: APAC IP Counsel
Requisition ID: 51033 BR
Reports To: Vice President and Chief Counsel IP
Location: Singapore or Shanghai
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is a Fortune 500 company and the world leader in serving science, with revenues of over US$18 billion and 55,000 employees in 50 countries. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity.
We are in immediate need of an experienced IP Attorney to lead our rapidly expandingAsia Pacific IP activities, including those in China, Singapore, and Japan. This is a high visibility position of rapidly growing importance. You will collaborate with R&D staff, IP attorneys worldwide, outside counsel, business management in Shanghai and Singapore and elsewhere in Asia, to ensure development of a first-class IP position in the Asia Pacific region. You will work at the forefront of technology, including genetic sequencing, analytical chemistry, physical, chemical and biologic measurement instrumentations.
Essential Job Functions and Accountabilities:
- Help develop and implement our IP strategy in the Asia Pacific region. This will encompass patent, trademark, trade secret, and copyright issues, including IP creation, enforcement, licensing, and transactional matters.
- Work directly with the R&D, marketing teams, business management, and corporate counsel to proactively identify IP opportunities resulting from R&D activities at our Singapore and China sites.
- Identify and address freedom to operate risks that may arise from product development activities at Singapore and other sites.
- Work with business teams to strategically identify and manage IP risks (including trade secrets) and opportunities in proposed commercial arrangements.
- Support the corporate legal team on IP ownership and licensing issues in commercial agreements.
- Develop and manage IP enforcement strategies, including patent and trademark infringement, and counterfeiting activities (particularly in China). Work with external law firms and investigators to execute enforcement plans.Coordinate with IP Counsel in the US and Europe to ensure APAC IP opportunities and risks are fully addressed from a worldwide legal and business perspective.
- Manage outside counsel patent prosecution and trademark registration work in Asia Pacific countries.
- Deliver high quality IP training to staff
Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor degree or above in science or engineering, preferably in Biological or Physical Sciences.
- Legal degree.
- Is a China Certified Patent Attorney with substantial experience in managing IP issues in other countries, or has training or experience in China IP laws and issues and is now certified in another country (such as the U.S.).
- Minimum of 10 years corporate or IP firm experience. International experience in other jurisdictions, such as US, EU is desirable.
- Knowledge or experience of patent, trademark, and copyright laws and practice in different Asia Pacific countries.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and the ability to work and manage in a high energy, fast paced environment.
- Proficient in Chinese Mandarin & English.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Indeed Posting Code: *IND-APAC
LinkedIn Posting Code: *LI-KP1
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join