Staff Scientist, R&D
Job ID :
US - Massachusetts - Bedford
When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Within the Purification Business Unit of Thermo Fisher Scientific we are seeking a Senior Development Specialist (Staff Scientist) to support development of new protein purification products for industrial scale bioprocess applications. This is an exciting opportunity for either an experienced polymer or organic chemist or materials scientist to join a dynamic and growing business where their polymer and synthetic organic skills, as well as associated analytical tools will be applied daily to lead the team to success. Are you ready to take the next step in your career? This is an excellent opportunity to put your demonstrated leadership skills into practice.
Supporting current POROS® purification product lines and new product development activities, the Staff Scientist is expected to:
• Be a staff adviser (technical) expert to management and cross functional teams in the areas of bead synthesis, modification and characterization.
• Investigate and explore new ideas and concepts by defining experiments, building, debugging and characterizing prototypes. Verify proof of principle and fit towards design requirements.
• Represent customer (internal and external) interests on product development teams. Working with business and marketing colleagues, scope market segments, aid collection and analysis of voice of customer data and aid development of technical product positioning statements.
• Be a role model on product development teams to strategically and tactically guide R&D activities and development of highly differentiated products.
• Lead efforts associated with new product development including prototype design and development, functional testing, prototype and new product characterization, scale up efforts and manufacturability assessments.
• Be an expert regarding design and implementation of synthetic routes and chemical handling.
• Have experienced using characterization tools such as chromatography, particle size analysis, permeability and surface area measurements, iSEC, IR and other related techniques or a combination thereof.
• Employs DoE principles to ensure robust development and deployment of manufacturing methods and leads transfer of these methods into manufacturing.
• Be a knowledge leader, who through their own contributions, demonstrates advanced understanding of products to develop key proof statements and technical documents to support product launches, business and commercial teams.
• Support deployment new products into key customer alpha and beta-sites, provide onsite product support, analyze and present key findings and recommendations to product development and operations teams.
• Work alongside business development and operations representatives in pre and post-development situations.
• Be an accomplished presenter to deliver new product design and application messaging internally, at conferences and during interactions with customers.
• B.S. or higher degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science or a biotechnology discipline is expected.
• Significant (5+ years) product development, and/or extensive materials development experience, with a preference to purification or chromatography related products.
• Has demonstrable new product development/commercialization and technology transfer experience.
• Have hands on experience of materials characterization using chromatography tools and a broad knowledge of materials characterization/analytics used to support material development process development, including HPLC, porosimetry, surface area analysis and spectroscopy.
• Use of statistical experiment design processes and validation concepts is expected experience.
• Computer literacy with MS office products is essential, instrument software and other tools such as Jump or Minitab is desired.
• Is self-directed and can leverage a matrix organization to drive innovation and results.
• Is self-motivated and has exceptional technical skills that are applied to motivate and lead others.
• Large volume process scale-up (>50L) is an advantage but not required.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join