Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Our four premier brands - Life Technologies, Thermo Scientific, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services - offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
Job Title: Mechanical Design Engineer
Reports To: Team Manager Mechanical Engineering
Group/Division: Anatomical Pathology Division
Career Band: 6
Job Track: Professional
Position Location: Runcorn, UK
- Developing design solutions to support obsolescence and sustaining for existing products using best practice engineering techniques
- Drive problem solving activities
- Generate new concepts for products and sub-components
- Perform engineering calculations including stress and tolerance analysis
- Lead and drive multiple project and design reviews with peers.
- Implementation of agreed designs for release into Production, including High Level Assemblies and component design.
- Use Creo Elements/Pro with Windchill to create, develop, store and control designs
- Generate verification protocols for components and assemblies to test and validate alternative sources of manufacture or production
- Implement and conduct testing protocols on components and assemblies.
- Developing procedures and protocols for testing low voltage assemblies.
- Plan own workload and develop project plans to drive implementation
- Incorporate a broad understanding of manufacturing processes into the design work
- Be involved in product and process FEMA’s
- Help priorities design and project tasks.
- Manage both in-house and third party resources
- Generate detailed documentation, specifications and design packages
- Support other areas of the business including production and servicing to resolve issues
- Input to the preparation of manuals, QA/RA submissions, sales literature and training materials
- Good degree or equivalent in mechanical engineering or similar field
- Alternatively significant experience of engineering design is required with a HNC/HND
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions:
- Demonstrated track record in mechanical design and development
- Strong technical and analytical skills
- Design of automated systems
- Best practice understanding and experience of motors, bearings, drives and actuators.
- Design experience of machining, sheet metal, castings and mouldings components.
- Design for assembly, cost and manufacturing skills
- Desire to innovate, develop and improve products
- Ability to follow through on tasks to completion
- 3D CAD skills
- Adherence to a stage gated quality system
- Ability to work independently and with others
- High degree of initiative
- Professional written and verbal communication skills
- Good interpersonal and organisational skills
- Good IT skills including MS Office application
Non essential Hiring Criteria:
- ProEngineer/Creo/Windchill experience
- Medical device or in-vitro diagnostics experience
- Laboratory automation and consumables experience
- Verification and validation experience
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join