Job Title: Product Optimization Engineer III - Electrical
Reports To: R&D Manager
Career Band: 6
Job Track: Professional
Position Location: Marietta, OH
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Day/Shift (if applicable): Day
FLSA Status (Exempt/Non-Exempt): Exempt
Relocation (if applicable): Yes
Position Summary: The candidate will support the design and manufacturing of laboratory equipment with specific responsibilities on existing electrical components, electrical subsystems and product testing as well as be accountable to lead own project(s).
This person interacts with all areas and levels of the company to bring a positive result in product development, production launches, optimizing existing products, using a multi-disciplinary approach to problem solving, and works to motivate team members toward the common goal.
- Lead project to evaluate product quality, cost, and throughput from Product Design Engineering and configure it for the production process.
- Actively participate in product development cycle to optimize product productivity.
- Review and approve Engineering Change Requests (ECR’s).
- Work alongside other product development team members and with other cross-functional groups to develop electrical systems and identify/implement projects for design optimization of the company’s laboratory products, including freezers, biological safety cabinets, shakers, incubators, and water systems.
- Participate in Practical Process Improvement (PPI) teams to improve electrical systems to achieve top-rank quality and long term reliability while at the same time providing environmental-friendly product designs and meeting regulatory requirements.
- Develop proper specifications for electrical system and subsystem/component performance.
- Troubleshoot electrical systems including both analog and digital circuits. Ability to troubleshoot electrical systems and components to correct existing problems and improve product quality and reliability.
- Analyze electrical systems using simulation software to improve design and performance. Familiarity with C and C+ programming languages. Work will include analog circuit design, digital circuit design, and software design and troubleshooting. This includes interface to electromechanical systems.
- Develop and execute test plans to validate electrical system performance while utilizing design for reliability tools and performance sensitivity analysis. Consideration must be given to the applicable third party certifications, for example: Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Underwriters Laboratories (UL), European Mark (CE), Canadian Standards Association (CSA) etc.
- Improve current electrical systems by use of Design for Manufacturability and Design for Assembly, and design electrical systems for ease of service and cost reduction.
- Work closely with outside suppliers to identify opportunities for improvements to current designed products.
- Familiar with commonly used PCB CAD design tools. Must have good computer skills including Microsoft Office.
- Perform all job duties in a safe manner and obey all safety policies and procedures.
- Perform all job duties consistent with the Code of Ethics and the 4-I Values .
- Perform all job duties within ISO standards, regulatory or statutory requirements.
- Participate in Continuous Improvement and support all PPI, Keys and Lean projects.
- Perform other duties and cross training as assigned.
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering, Master’s degree preferred
- Five to ten years- experience and/or training in electrical circuit design and product development.
- Minimum of 3 years complex project coordination or project management experience is a must.
- Possess a strong background in both refrigeration manufacturing processes/technology and mechanical/equipment areas, and are skilled in statistical process control methods (DOE / capability analysis / tolerances).
- Technical experience with refrigeration systems & High Performance Laboratory refrigerators / freezers.
- Strong organizational skills as the candidate may be required to run more than one project at one time.
- High levels of self-discipline, drive, and a proven ability to lead a highly skilled global cross – functional team.
- Experienced transitioning new products into production.
- Experience with regulated environment –including UL, CSA and FDA
- Demonstrated understanding of Engineering Change Notices and Bills of Materials
- Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be able to demonstrate same across department boundaries and with all levels of management.
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time and utilize CRT to perform job functions.
- Ability to sit and talk with suppliers on the telephone or in person for extended periods of time.
- Ability to handle internal and external customer complaints in an effective and efficient manner.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability work long hours under stressful conditions, closely and effectively with people of all levels of the organization to produce necessary results.
- At times up to 10% travel may be required
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Certification as a PMP or Green Belt
- Exposure to Design for Manufacture and Design for Assembly
This position has been approved for relocation assistance.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.