When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The Scientist II, Fermentation, works in a team based environment to perform all tasks related to the production and qualification of E. coli/Pichia cell paste for use in downstream protein/nucleic acid purification, uses large scale fermentation equipment, including but not limited to, SIP bioreactors, CIP skid and continuous flow centrifuge. The Scientist II, Fermentation completes all production in compliance with site Quality Management System and ISO 9001.
- Responsible for manufacturing product(s) in a lab setting following standard operating procedures. Will utilize basic laboratory techniques, calculations, materials measurement, operation of laboratory equipment and record keeping necessary to manufacture products.
- Will be required to set-up, operate, and clean/sterilize large scale bioreactors and cell harvesting equipment on a daily basis.
- Will perform cell paste qualification through use of small scale protein/nucleic acid purification techniques. Will also utilize restriction digest, DNA sequence analysis and gel electrophoresis.
- Responsible for Batch Data Records, notebooks, customer reports and work order documents.
- Utilize specialized technical knowledge and skills to make detailed observations and analyze data to ensure within operating parameters. Advise manager of factors that may affect quality of product. Suggest options/ideas for corrective actions.
- Maintain equipment, product inventories and related records as assigned. Note variances on manufacturing documents; audit and evaluate process documents and propose revisions. Complete, distribute and file records as required in accordance with Document Control Practices.
- Identify potential issues in the production process; report findings to team management and members for resolution or participate in troubleshooting.
- Write technical documents which may include standard operating procedures and batch records.
- May lead process improvement projects or product transfer projects
- May perform other related duties as required and/or assigned.
- Must have a bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or other related discipline. Masters degree is a plus.
- Requires a minimum of 4 years relevant protein expression experience demonstrating laboratory techniques in a manufacturing environment or research laboratory.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of scientific laboratory techniques, equipment and materials. Experience in the use of basic laboratory techniques, including buffer preparation, media preparation and sterilization, SDS-Page Analysis, Western Blotting, and other protein characterization techniques.
- Experience with small scale DNA plasmid purification with restriction digest and DNA sequence analysis. Vector NTI software preferred.
- Proficient use of automated large scale SIP fermentation equipment, including bioreactors and cell harvesting equipment.
- Experience with different E. coli and Pichia protein expression systems.
- Lifting up to 25 lbs will be required on a frequent basis.
- May be required to stand for long periods of time while performing duties.
- Must be flexible to work varying schedules and hours as needed.
- Must be able to work safely with chemicals and hazardous materials.
- Consistent, dependable and accurate in carrying out responsibilities
- Displays positive attitude toward job and others
- Follows and provides direction accurately and efficiently
- Excellent documentation and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to carry out scientific procedures and make recommendations for improvement required.
- Good problem solving skills necessary.
- Working knowledge of manufacturing related computer software preferred.
- Intermediate Excel skills
This position has not been approved for Relocation Assistance.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 55,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join