When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $18 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
The Staff Firmware Engineer primary function is divided into the development of embedded software (Firmware) and solid understanding of electronics design for an electro-mechanical software controlled analytical instruments. Work often involves analog and digital hardware and real-time operating systems.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of firmware for Ion Chromatography instruments.
- Responsible for planning, improving, and managing firmware development throughout the NPDI process. This may include leading internal and external resources to complete tasks.
- Responsible for debugging and modifying firmware.
- Participate in a cross-functional team environment to define specification and develop designs that address user needs and meet the intended system requirements.
- Responsible for conducting technical design reviews.
- BS in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science with a minimum 15 years working experience in related field is required. Advanced degree preferred
- Experience designing, developing, and deploying software and firmware integrated solutions using C/C++.
- Motorola assembly language highly desired.
- Strong knowledge of and exposure to hardware design.
- General knowledge of design controls and carry the design through the different product development phases
- Strong formal education in electronics engineering, physical chemistry and control systems for scientific instruments is ideal.
- Ability to develop Windows based utilities for testing hardware.
- Understanding of the fundamentals of USB/serial communication as well as digital signal processing.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows Operating System and Office Suite Applications, Adobe Acrobat.
- Working knowledge of USB communication and compliance.
- Familiar with RTOS, Green Hills IDE, CodeWarrior IDE, ColdFire microcontrollers, electronics, sensors, oscilloscope, DMM, and BDM wiggler are required.
- Familiar with Arm based processors.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to lead technical discussion and design tradeoff negotiation between hardware and firmware.
This position has not been approved to provide relocation assistance.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 55,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join