Automation Project Engineer
Job ID :
US - New York - Rochester
When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
The Project Engineer is responsible for all activities related to the design, development and procurement of automated equipment for both internal and customer use. This position requires the application of engineering principles to design products such as equipment, instruments, controls, robots, machines, etc. A key role will be to manage each project from design through implementation. This position requires a wealth of knowledge in automated machine design and supplier management.
• This position is responsible for all aspects of the implementation of automated manufacturing systems from initial concept through final acceptance. Depending on workload, this may include engineering design tasks, management of external suppliers or improvement of existing processes.
• Develops project plans and capital appropriations requests. Prepares schedules and budgets and tracks progress throughout the project cycle.
• Develops equipment specifications and interacts with various suppliers in obtaining quotations, awarding purchase orders (working through TMO Sourcing), approving automation designs and coordinating manufacturing of newly designed automation equipment. Acts as the primary supplier contact and interface to internal and external customers.
• Works as a member of cross functional project teams, ensuring the needs of internal and external customers are met within schedule and budget.
• Supports manufacturing process improvements at LPE sites in North America.
• Identifies and evaluates need for upgrades and repairs of current automation equipment and/or design of new equipment.
• Coordinates necessary drawing revisions, specifications and work instructions as applicable, required for automation upgrades and repairs. Prepares final machine documentation, including engineering drawings, work instructions, procedures and operator manuals.
• Trains internal personnel and customers as needed.
• BS in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related discipline
• 10+ years related experience in the design of automation systems. Experience in the biotech or pharmaceutical industries is preferred
• Sound business acumen and demonstrated ability to protect company interests when dealing with outside suppliers
• Excellent business and technical writing skills, verbal communications skills, and the ability to work as part of a team
• Must be capable of understanding issues and giving direction to suppliers on both Mechanical and Controls Engineering as it relates to automation systems. This does not necessarily require complete expertise in both areas, but does require sufficient understanding of both disciplines to make sound decisions and drive appropriate actions.
• Proficient and up-to-date with current Mechanical or Controls design software tools and Microsoft Project, Word and Excel
• Knowledge of electrical regulatory requirements for products and equipment (i.e. CE, UL, ITL, etc.).
• Strong analytical skills and knowledge of structured problem solving techniques.
• Demonstrated experience managing suppliers of automated equipment solutions
• Strong experience in Mechanical or Controls Engineering on automation equipment. Demonstrated ability to work directly with external suppliers to solve problems related to both controls and mechanical issues.
• Hands-on experience with problem-solving on automated equipment systems
• Ability to travel domestically and internationally (up to 30% of the time).
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join