About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
This position is part of our Chemical Analysis Division. We have approximately 80 employees within this location and the broader business unit has operations in Massachusetts, Ohio, Colorado, Germany and China.
Our Site Leader & Operations Manager will lead operational excellence in our Neutron Flux Monitoring Systems (NFMS) business based in San Diego, California. This position has overall responsibility for manufacturing, engineering, project management, quality, cost control, and safety for the site. The core product lines design, produce and deliver equipment that analyzes, detects, monitors and controls manufacturing processes for nuclear reactor systems in power plants. This position offers an influential seat at the table of a growing and dynamic technology segment and will provide substantial opportunity for on-going career development and growth within Thermo Fisher Scientific worldwide.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Overall site leadership; directs the Production, Engineering, Project Management and Order Fulfillment activities; acting to ensure safe, efficient, and high quality production, On Time Shipment (OTS) and positive customer experiences. Oversees the Materials Management and Logistics functions to drive robust production planning and scheduling, inventory management, and delivery performance. Serves as the chief Customer Advocate in resolving prioritization issues.
- Partners with the quality lead at the site to insure that the site quality culture is solidly based on process controls and continuous improvement, and that production is executed in accordance with applicable regulatory requirements, internal standards, and customer requirements
- Promotes a strong safety culture; leads by example
- Leads the sourcing team to maintain cost-efficient availability of materials and supplies, and achievement of inventory objectives.
- Accountable for the overall financial performance of the site, focusing on revenue recognition, cost management, working capital management, and cash flow objectives.
- Develops and manages in accordance with an approved budget, maintains a system of internal controls, and holds the overall responsibility for safe-guarding assets.
- Plans and recommends investments to drive cost reduction, productivity improvement, and process controls to insure quality of all products.
- Drives continuous improvement and standard work across all organizational elements of the Enterprise using Key Performance Indicator metrics formats, balanced scorecards, and other systems of maintaining measurement and accountability.
- Consistently demonstrates Role Model Leadership, and assists the Human Resources function in developing and executing sound HR programs that drive workforce motivation and employee allegiance, and meet the Company’s goal of being An Employer of Choice.
- Carries the end responsibility for Communications Programs, and is accountable for conducting Quarterly Town Hall Meetings in accordance with Company policy.
- Continuously responsible for working and leading in a collaborative manner and promoting cross-functional teamwork and business efficiency while maintaining superior levels of customer service.
- Collaborates with the Commercial and Marketing teams to drive revenue production meeting or exceeding quarterly targets.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in a scientific or technical field or equivalent experience required. MBA desired.
- 10 years of progressive manufacturing operations/business experience with direct responsibility in the past for manufacturing operations.
- Experience developing and implementing an operational strategy and footprint.
- Minimum 2 years' experience in the field of Continuous Improvement (PPI, Six Sigma and/or Lean) Methodologies.
- Change agent capable of supporting change initiatives as well as identifying need for and driving change within the Operations organization.
- Strong analytical capability and experience; strong business acumen with proven record of success in highly decentralized, matrix management environment.
- Excellent business acumen combined with an excellent knowledge of manufacturing fabrication, product assembly/test processes and new product introduction launch processes.
- Strong knowledge of quality theory, continuous improvement and Lean methodologies.
- Exhibit strong influencing skills in a matrix environment, be approachable and involved with key constituencies at all levels and work effectively across geographic/functional lines.
- Estimate up to 25% travel.
- Ability to work effectively in different cultures and geographic areas.
This position has been approved for Relocation Assistance.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join