The Applications Scientist Intern will be responsible for testing various samples and competitive products associated with our Core UV product line. This position requires a scientist with knowledge and experience in laboratory instrumentation and software. He/she must be capable of both doing laboratory work and critically analyzing experimental results. Applications Scientists also participate in new product development and R&D activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- 2018 projects: Preparing and measuring samples on Thermo Scientific and competitive instruments. With the help of a supervisor, designing experiments to prove instrumentation capabilities. Preparation of methods for water, beer, and wine analysis.
- Uses expertise in Chemistry and other fields relevant to spectroscopy to produce and document experimental data.
- Works with the R&D Division to help generate data to support R&D projects.
- Other miscellaneous duties as assigned
Specific Scope Data:
- Perform and document R&D testing activities.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in life sciences, physical science, chemistry, or engineering discipline or candidate pursuing a degree in the above disciplines.
- Experience in chemistry or molecular biology equivalent to one or more semesters of laboratory science beyond general/freshman chemistry required.
- Experience in using multiple types of analytical instrumentation in a laboratory setting is highly desirable.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions:
- High level of technology fluency to understand and properly communicate the technology associated with assigned products.
- High energy level with ability to take initiative.
- Proven reasoning abilities and sound judgment.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Windows and MS Office proficiency.
- Programming experience with macros or other workflow capabilities is preferred.
- Process-oriented with demonstrated attention to details. Delivering results on time is essential.
- Teamwork-oriented with collaborative style.
- Demonstrated proficiency of Thermo Fisher Scientific values – Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement
- Standing, walking, fingering, grasping, feeling, seeing, talking, hearing, seeing, repetitive motion
Level of Physical Requirements:
- Sedentary light work with occasional medium work
Level of Visual Acuity:
- Inspection, close observation, assembly, clerical, professional or administrative.
- Inside environment, exposure to mechanical parts and machines, exposure to computer CRTs, exposure to electronic components and systems, possible exposure to lasers. Laboratory environment, including use of hazardous chemicals and biological materials.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join