Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and approximately 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands: Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
All of our employees share a common set of values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement. Our ability to grow year after year is driven by our ability to attract, develop and retain world-class people who will thrive in our environment and share in our desire to improve mankind by enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
If you share in our values and if you're looking for an employer who is strongly committed to developing talent and rewarding achievement, come grow with us at Thermo Fisher Scientific.
Thermo Fisher Scientific currently has a vacancy for a Field Applications Specialist based in South Africa to work within the HID (Human IDentification – Forensics & Paternity) business to provide technical support and training to a growing number of customers in English Speaking African (ESA) countries. This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious and dynamic individual to join a fast paced global Life Sciences organization, at what is an exciting time in the growth of Thermo Fisher Scientific.
Field Application Scientist, HID (Forensics & Paternity) - South Africa
- Perform Post-Sales in-house and on-site Support activities such as telephone and email support, customer training, troubleshooting and escalation processes, thereby contributing substantially to customer satisfaction and loyalty. Support sales in the achievement of the business plan by provision, in a timely and professional manner, of pre-sales support activities such as demonstrations and seminars. Establish contacts to key opinion leaders in the field and develop local references. Plays major role when introducing and supporting new products, forensic workflow and applications.
- Perform Post-Sales in-house and on-site Support activities such as telephone and email support, customer training, troubleshooting and escalation process. Proactive follow-up support to Key Customers. Preparation and delivery of customer training. Preparation & Delivery of User Meetings. Active participation in scientific congresses.
- Responsible for closing open customer inquiries and complaints, and liaise with EMEA HID FAS experts for resolution of customer problems. Also provide feedback on technical issues and their respective solutions to EMEA HID FAS expert team.
- Provides pre-sales support to Sales especially for strategic customers by dual customer visits, demonstrations, seminars/lectures/workshops, and data analysis promoting Company product value and benefits in the context of application and workflow.
- Establish contacts to key opinion leaders in the field and develop local reference. Plays major role when introducing and supporting new products, forensic workflow and applications.
- Provide feedback to local and European Sales & Marketing on competitive activities and technologies, market conditions, customer needs, and product opportunities. Become strong internal Voice of Customer.
- Acquire and maintain practical and scientific knowledge for support of customers, Sales and Service on the leading edge of technology.
Required Job Qualification
- Master or comparable education in appropriate science subject with relevant experience. High degree of technical competence & confidence and ability to interface with the scientific community to the highest levels.
- Extensive hands-on technical experience (2 years minimum) in a forensics or paternity lab environment such as data analysis and/or research & development.
- Previous experience in a support or training-related position is preferred.
- Previous hands-on experience with AB / Life Technologies HID technology is preferred.
- Excellent communication & presentation skills.
- Willingness to travel internationally.
- Fluent English language skills – oral and written. Additional language skills welcome but not mandatory (such as French)
- Work may sometimes be performed on evenings and weekends (e.g. due to scientific congresses).
- Work partially has to be performed in the field and the environment varies from driving conditions to visits on customer sites, in laboratories working with low hazard chemicals, automated instrumentation and computer equipment
- Computer and internet knowledge.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join