Job Title: Principal Consulting Scientist - Upstream Technologies - Bioproduction Technical Services Organization
Requisition ID: 56469BR
When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
This is a REMOTE position and can be located anywhere.
We are searching for a talented Principal Consulting Scientist to lead technical product and services consultation in the specification, application and product optimization discussions with clients and prospects in the upstream product portfolio (primarily Cell Culture and Single Use Technologies) in the Technical Services Organization within the Bioproduction Division. The Principal Consulting Scientist requires coordination of both functional pre-sales activities around definition of the scope and effort, implementation and deployment of the proposed solution as well as troubleshooting of customer processes. Activities include delivering solutions and value presentations to a mixed audience of technical, business, operations, and management staff; providing functional leadership on the structure, implementation and delivery of projects, providing functional guidance during the sales cycle, brainstorming sessions with customers on using various applications and Life Sciences solution offerings in combination with industry solutions to solve real-world problems and setting internal standards and best practices for consistent and high quality project delivery. This role may also serve as the company liaison on specific technical projects with customers.
- Schedule and coordinate face to face technical interactions with customers.
- Lead technical product specification, application and protocol optimization discussions with clients and prospects for the products in the upstream processing area in the Bioproduction Division (BPD) offering.
- Assist commercial team in identifying customer opportunities, needs, determine technical feasibility of custom solution requests and product/process optimization opportunities in consultation with local Field Application Scientists.
- Serve as the primary field-based technical interface for the Core Account customers and Core Account Teams.
- Provide troubleshooting on major products and application issues that arise related to end-User’s technical skills, cell-line selection, experiment design and results of media development/optimization process. Manage and coordinate the appropriate project resources to resolve customer issues.
- Develop a thorough knowledge of forensic customer segments and assess competitive landscape
- Mentor global FAS colleagues to increase technical expertise across the organization
- Providing the necessary voice of the customer (VOC) to the appropriate levels within Product Management and R&D for all products and services
- Utilizing inter-company experts and resources to recommend technical applications and process development studies
- Recommending how products & business systems can be improved
- Informing Marketing and Product Management of new technologies that could complement the existing range from the perspective of identified customer needs
- Providing effective training activities & workshops on the application & capabilities of Single-Use products and systems.
- Participate in training programs for Commercial teams & TMO staff and seminars to external customers to increase customer awareness of the cell culture product line & services, core competencies and increased technical skills of the BPD team
- Collaborate with R&D and provide recommendations on how products can be improved, and also inform product management of new technologies that could complement our existing range from the perspective of identified customer needs
- Maintain awareness of competitor activities and innovations within our accounts, and the marketplace generally, ensuring that relevant information is circulated within our organization in an effective and timely manner.
- Detail oriented, analytical, data driven, and ability to solve complex problems
- Customer focused and able to interpret and translate customer needs into value added solutions
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency, optimism and a “can do” attitude
- Ability to build relationships across different business functions and business units
- A demonstrated leader through influence with strong negotiation skills
- Comfortable with making decisions with some level of uncertainty
- Passionate about challenges, problem solving, and learning new things
- Is authentic, transparent and leads by example, holding self and others accountable
- Ability to present to all levels of an organization internally and externally
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Engineering or related discipline.
- Minimum 8 years of industry technical experience in cell culture and process development. Hands-on work experiences in large-scale mammalian cell culture, experience at a biopharmaceutical production company preferred.
- Understanding of operations within a cGMP regulatory environment, from clinical development through commercial manufacturing
- Experience in interacting with external clients and ability to present technical content to small and large audiences.
- Ability to work as part of a highly effective team of professionals
- Self-motivated, proactive work ethics. Able to work independently with limited day-to-day supervision of the manager.
- Up to 30% travel will be required.
- Travel will include overnight in US and territories, Mexico, and South America. Some European and Asia-Pacific travel will be required.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com