China Job Description Template
Job Title: Senior Compliance Director, China/APAC
The China Compliance Director is an experienced corporate compliance professional with expertise in a broad array of legal compliance regulations, focusing on international anti-bribery and corruption laws including local China anti-bribery and corruption laws, the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, and UK Bribery Act. Familiarity with compliance issues related to healthcare/medical device regulations (including China Food and Drug Administration) is also desirable but not required.
This individual will be responsible for helping to enforce Anti-Bribery compliance efforts within China (with possible expansion to APAC region). This position involves oversight of the company’s third-party distributor due diligence process within China including responsibility for its automated screening program. It also involves drafting and reviewing policies, training employees on compliance policies/procedures and assisting Internal Audit in auditing and monitoring the compliance program. This position will not be responsible for compliance areas at Thermo Fisher Scientific that are covered by other responsible employees (e.g., global trade compliance, EHS, etc.). In-house compliance experience is highly preferred. Project management with creative problem solving skills is required. Fluent English is also required.
This individual will be located in Shanghai but will report directly to our Senior Corporate Counsel, Compliance (located in Waltham Massachusetts). They will also be expected to work closely with the China legal team.
Responsibilities within China include:
- Lead the China Compliance function under the direction of Legal Counsel and assist in investigations related to possible internal compliance issues
- Primary administrator of the company’s due diligence program related to the company’s business partners including responsibility for clearing red flags (in consultation with legal counsel).
- Conduct compliance due diligence on potential acquisitions, divestitures or large transactions within China and work on compliance integration for new acquisitions.
- Work with Legal and Internal Audit to conduct compliance risk assessments, assist in auditing and monitoring overall compliance with the program, and develop reports and associated recommendations.
- Continuously establish, improve and implement compliance-related internal control systems and SOPs, ensure Thermo Fisher’s compliance requirements are met through the Company, the employees, and external business partners (e.g. distributors, dealers and vendors).
- Serve as the primary compliance trainer for China.
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- Advanced degree, CPA certification, UK Bribery Act certification, audit experience, or Juris Doctorate a plus
- Fluent English and Mandarin is required;
- Minimum 8-10 years or work experience with at least 5+ years of directly relevant work in Compliance and/or Operations with substantial exposure to FCPA and UK Anti-Bribery Act preferably in the medical device industries or other healthcare industry
- Strong competence in strategic planning and execution of commercial compliance programs
- Thorough working knowledge of FCPA compliance
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of sensitive information
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong ability to work independently and under pressure, can-do attitude and self-motivated with bias for action
- Position is located in China
- Approximately 10-20% travel is possible
Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join