As the world’s leader in serving science, Thermo Fisher Scientific is a driving force in the research, healthcare, industrial and applied markets, generating more than $18B in annual revenue. No other company can match our range of customer touch points – technologically, geographically or commercially. We help our customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment, making sure our food is safe and moving forward with thousands of important projects that improve millions of lives.
- Ability to maintain the Thermo Fisher Middletown HVAC, Freezer, Refrigeration and Lyophilizer Units.
- Performs corrective and preventive maintenance on production, utility, and facility equipment. This involves all necessary documentation and data collection associated w/performing calibrations/ preventive maintenance work and validations of production equipment.
- Capable of interpreting and executing mechanical plans, reading technical drawings, drafts and sketches.
- Works independently in performing various tasks.
- Assists other multi-craft maintenance personnel to resolve technical issues.
- Documents all equipment modifications for drawing revision.
- Makes recommendations for equipment and process improvements
- Complies with all industry standard and company specific safety regulations.
- Follows all procedures to assure compliance with all regulatory requirements (i.e., GMP).
- Ability to navigate and be proficient with required job functions associated w/maintaining/modifying data base CMMS (Blue Mountain Regulatory Asset Management)
- Recognizing and being accountable for the calibration/Preventive maintenance requirements of the Thermo Fisher Middletown facility.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 5-10 years experience maintaining an industrial manufacturing facility is a plus
- Lyophilizer maintenance and repair is highly desirable
- Very solid background in refrigeration trade is a must
- Above average mathematical/analytical skills to perform calculations
- Requires excellent organizational skills and ability to collect/sort and analyze data for record keeping
- Ability to recognize necessary equipment spare part components and procure if necessary
- Requires excellent troubleshooting skills
- Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Requires a strong mechanical aptitude with basic fundamentals and hands-on of mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic systems including: applications, repairs, interpreting/understanding schematics and components
- Large freezer and refrigerator maintenance and repair skills
- Requires some basic knowledge of 120/208V electrical circuits/motors/breakers/relays and functions
- Must have basic computer skills and be versed in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Must be able to work well with others in various departments in a cooperative manner
- May be required to work evenings and/or weekend hours in order to keep facilities and equipment operational.
- Will be on call for manufacturing and facilities and must be able to work 2nd and 3rd shift emergencies.
- May be exposed to cold, heat, noise, dust, fumes, paint, chemicals, oil, or grease depending upon the area in which work needs to be performed.
- Will be required to gown-up to work in manufacturing and will wear hair covering on head and arms, and safety glasses with side shields.
- Must be able to lift 75 lbs.
- Must wear company provided uniform and safety glasses and safety shoes.
Critical Hiring Criteria:
- Applicant must have current Universal EPA 608 Certification
- Applicant must have current Type I and II Refrigerant recovery certification per CFR Part 82, Subpart F
- Proven ability to repair and troubleshoot HVAC and refrigeration systems
- Extensive knowledge of operating principles of heating & cooling systems, refrigeration equipment, condenser/evaporator and iller units
- Experience in recharging chillers, refrigerant dryers and any AC equipment
- Experience with Environmental Units including: applications, repairs, controls, desiccant wheels/drums, reheat, dampers, thermostats/humidistat’s, humidity measurement, dry room applications
- Thorough knowledge of Ventilation/Heating/Cooling Systems: types of filters & technology, HEPA, MERV ratings, air filtration standards & sustainability - NEBB, ISO air quality classifications for sterile formulation and fills - Air ducting - temperature/flow measurement/sizing for specific air flows (SCFM)
- Proficient in refrigerant controls and wiring specialties
- Knowledge of absorption systems
- Knowledge of ancillary heating equipment including heat exchanger steam control, pressure circulating pumps/valves/controls
- Fundamentals of LP and HP fire tube steam boiler operation
- Knowledge of heat pump theory, operations, installation and service
- Familiarity of types (steel, copper, PVC), sizes and schedules of pipe- when and where used- flow capacities for pipe sizes
- Proven ability to fabricate and install all three types of pipe; threaded steel, sweated copper and glued PVC/CPCV. Shall be able to demonstrate running pipe with offsets, laterals, etc.
- Understanding of vacuum systems – pump repairs, operation, components
- Understanding of electrical schematics for power distribution and motor control circuits. Switchgear, breakers, wire size/conduit size for specific voltages and amperages
- Understanding of single and three phase motor control circuits and be capable of trouble-shooting and diagnosing issues in control and low voltage systems
This position is not approved for relocation benefits.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 55,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join