When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Under the direction of the Director of Global Engineering and Product Development, the Sr Manager, New Product Development Project Management is responsible for team leadership and product development coordination leading to the timely launch of new product initiatives within ThermoFisher Scientific’s Labware and Specialty Plastics business unit. The Project Leader uses best practice Project Management tools to lead cross functional teams focused on product and process development, manufacturing platform improvements, and /or capacity expansions while maintaining compliance with all appropriate processes, systems and procedures.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
· Lead cross functional, multi site (potentially international) New Product Development Project teams.
· Organize and execute projects in accordance with the business unit’s New Product Development Phase Gate Process. The Phase Gate Process requires compliance with FDA / ISO Design Control for medical devices. This includes Voice of Customer processes to collect User Needs, translation into Requirements, technical product and process development, product / process verification and validation, and the necessary corresponding documentation.
· Manage projects utilizing the Project Management Competencies of Integration, Scope, Time, Cost, Quality, Risk, Human Resources, Communications and Procurement to successfully complete project deliverables as planned
· Lead the creation and execution of a project plan and corresponding budget including resource allocation and required capital.
· Execute robust Risk Management practices to maintain high probability of project success, ie, satisfaction of scope, schedule and budget.
· Work closely with team members providing technical guidance to facilitate solutions, timing and project success.
· Responsible for assessing resource needs across multiple projects and working with appropriate managers to assign resources per established priorities.
· Responsible for cost development and assessing financial feasibility for new product initiatives.
· Completes required communications, including written project summaries and presentations.
· Maintain and communicate team performance metrics, setting and maintaining high expectations for team performance
· Create synergistic, collaborative team environments encouraging trust, respect and cooperation among team members.
· Project leadership may include operations projects when required.
· Functional responsibilities include:
o Hire, retain, and develop top talent
o Employee goal and development plans
o Compliance with all appropriate processes, systems and procedures
o Define metrics and pursue continuous improvement programs
o Completes required communications, including written project summaries and presentations.
· Complete special assignments as needed.
· Bachelor of Science degree required, preferably in engineering technical discipline.
· Minimum 8 years of managing projects using the Project Management Knowledge areas. PMI certification is preferred.
· Project Leadership experience in the design and development of new products, preferably medical devices.
· Ideal candidate will have knowledge of medical device regulations with proven ability to manage projects that satisfy these regulations.
· Must have a technical aptitude to understand and critique project content to accurately forecast project probability of success
· Fluency with project management software platforms.
· Strong leadership qualities with a proven ability to lead and influence others without direct authority
· Excellent written and oral communication skills are required to interact with all levels of the organization
· Must be able to independently manage multiple complex projects concurrently while meeting target dates.
· Excellent teamwork and negotiation skills
· Ability to travel 10-15% including international locations
· Experience with functional management of direct reports.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join