When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
This position reports to the Manager, Supply Chain. Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Shows Initiative and responsibility, is proactive, seeks out possible solutions for issues before escalating. Under limited supervision, performs varied purchasing/planning assignments to procure supplies, raw materials and equipment necessary for the operation of the organization, and releases work orders to production based on MRP or actual customer orders released from hold. Follows established procedures, practices and policies to contact vendors, obtain quotations, examine bids, make awards, place orders, and expedite delivery of goods/services; open and expedite work orders. Exercises judgment and working knowledge of materials and sources of supply to make purchase at price consistent with quality and quantity.
- Participates in the selection of preferred vendors.
- Negotiates and generates purchase orders for MRO buying per approved purchase requisitions, and production materials per MRP.
- Reviews and resolves daily internal purchasing problems and shortages within his/her commodity, and ensures communication to cross functional teams
- Reschedule Purchase Orders as required.
- Initiates/supports major cost reduction programs.
- Returns discrepant inventory items to vendors within his/her commodity.
- Resolves discrepant invoice issues in a timely manner.
- Confers with suppliers concerning late, on-time and early deliveries.
- Participates with supplier performance reviews within his/her commodity.
- Reviews stocking levels for consumables per MRP and releases production work orders in various lot sizes
- Cross-trains employees.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; talk or hear and smell. The employee is frequently required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university; or 5 to 7 years related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Purchasing certificate preferred.
- APICS certification preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to use a PC with Microsoft Office software.
- Ability to perform data entry into an ERP system such as Oracle.
- Well organized and must have good communication skills.
Interaction with Other Employees (level of contact, purpose and frequency)
- Regularly interfaces with Production leads and Supervisors, Manufacturing Engineering, Quality, Customer Service, Demand Planning, R&D Engineering, Accounts Payable and Document Services.
- Occasionally interacts with Marketing/Sales, and Finance.
- Takes an active role in high level improvement projects related to quality and productivity.
- Networks with senior internal and external personnel in own area of expertise.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join