About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
The post holder will be expected to carry out the following duties according to the appropriate Standard Operating Procedures and ensuring Health and Safety guidance is followed.
- Manage the effective and efficient deployment of resources within the laboratory, including laboratory materials, staff and monitor the daily work activity, participating in the technical work as and when required so to do.
- Give advice and specialised scientific information to scientific and non-scientific staff in the facility as well as client representatives.
- Work in conjunction with the Business Development team to provide technical information and presentations to clients when required.
- In collaboration with appropriate staff, be responsible for the production, continuous monitoring and updating of departmental standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Contribute to the planning process of the facility in response to client demand and organisational change.
- Ensure that internal and external quality control procedures are carried out, and that appropriate corrective and preventative measures are taken to ensure scientific standards are maintained.
- Demonstrate an awareness of, and compliance with, health and safety regulations, the Data Protection Act, Human Tissue Act and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Investigate problems relating to Health and Safety, taking appropriate actions as deemed necessary, informing the Facility Safety Officer where required.
- Take an active role in departmental management meetings, which incorporate local quality improvement, dissemination of company information and facility issues, implementing changes when required.
- Actively participate in the induction of new staff and further training of scientific staff.
- Responsible for the procurement and maintenance of supplies and services, maintaining stock levels necessary for the optimal performance of all aspects of the work undertaken in the department within budgetary constraints.
- Manage the operation of the day-to-day ordering and invoicing systems, as an authorised signatory for payment of invoices.
- Recommend purchase of equipment or supplies that may improve the service provided.
- Assist the General Manager and participate in the annual budget setting exercise, identifying potential cost pressures due to changes in personnel or service demands.
- Actively participate in company projects and activities.
Scientific and Technical
- Required to have detailed knowledge of all sample processing techniques including, but not limited to, blood sample fractionation, buffy coat preparation, peripheral blood lymphocyte isolation, DNA / RNA extraction techniques, quantification and qualification of DNA, PCR, whole genome amplification etc.
- When required, work with fresh and formalin-fixed tissue samples, including the manipulation of diagnostic biopsies and dissection of tissue samples, the accurate numbering of samples, and the embedding of tissue into paraffin wax, paying particular regard to the potential microbiological hazards posed by fresh tissue and the chemical hazard posed by formalin.
- When required, use appropriate histological and immunohistochemical staining techniques using highly skilled manual techniques, and specialised equipment, paying due regard to the inherent chemical hazards posed by the reagents used.
- When required, undertake macroscopic checking of tissue blocks and microscopic checking of tissue sections.
- Devise procedures for aliquoting biological materials into various configurations.
- Be responsible or the safe use and proficient use of expensive and highly complex laboratory equipment, which requires training and competence at a specialist level.
- Be one of the site Biological Safety officers responsible for assessing materials suitability prior to receipt on site.
- Refer to the General Manager any matter, which is beyond level of competence.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join