Remotely based in the New England area, the Field Service Engineer is responsible for customer support activities, with a focus on preventative and corrective maintenance of instrumentation. The successful candidate must have the ability to utilize proven troubleshooting processes to diagnose and resolve technical issues on a variety of electromechanical instruments. The ability to manage service call scheduling, parts inventory and administrative responsibilities with minimal supervision is required. Additional responsibilities include; customer relationship management, written documentation of service activities, and effective interaction and communication with internal technical support personnel, manufacturing, and sales. The Field Service Engineer will represent the company in a positive, professional manner in all dealings with Thermo Fisher Scientific customers, both external and internal.t.
- Perform repairs, preventive maintenance, upgrades and installs of laboratory instrumentation
- Must have excellent customer interface skills and be responsible for customer satisfaction in assigned territory
- Responsible for maintaining inventory and administrative records in a timely manner
- Assist in the development and improvement of service processes and information
- Joint territory management with the Area Account Managers
- Assist other Field Service Engineers in problem resolution and territory management
- Provide account status and service visit reports to the manager
- Manage and troubleshoot complex technical issues with hardware, firmware and software
- Must be proactive in resolving instrument issues before they become chronic by determining a root cause and course of action
- Responsible for sale of parts and labor
- Comply with local management policies for access to facilities in assigned territory
- Remain current on equipment/tools through appropriate training, manuals, technical bulletins and other relevant materials
- Ensure proper communication and/or documentation for product complaints per SOP
- Must be able to maintain records and reports as required, coordinate activities with peers, manager and customers to minimize equipment downtime and interruptions
In addition, other duties may be assigned as the business need warrants.
- Associate’s degree in electronics, engineering, biomedical technology or equivalent experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or technology preferred
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience with related science, engineering and/or customer skills
- Ability to manage a large territory and perform service training, customer training, support and repair of laboratory equipment
- Must be able to travel at least 75% with overnight stays
- May be required to travel to customer sites with as little as 24 hours notice
- Must be able to take at least 10 paid on-call weekends in a year
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds on a routine basis
This position has not been approved for Relocation Assistance.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join