When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world
Location/Division Specific Information
Rochester NY is the headquarters for Labororatory Plastics Essentials, a global operation.
How will you make an impact?
This person will help to develop and launch new products.
What will you do?
The Development Engineer, assists with developing manufacturing plans for products from initial idea, through approved design, procurement, process development, process verification and successful implementation into manufacturing for Thermo Fisher Scientific.
The Development engineer will collaborate with design engineers, packaging engineers, quality engineers, other process engineers and project leaders to develop molding processes (primarily Injection molding but also including blow molding) for consumable plastic products for life science, medical device, laboratory, packaging, diagnostic and consumer product markets.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in a collaborative new product development environment that develops a wide variety of plastic lab ware products from concept to launch using an engineering focused process. Challenging opportunity for a talented engineer to drive innovation, implement new technologies and develop best engineering practices in a growing organization.
• Cross Functional Project Team Member: Participate on cross functional project teams to develop and verify manufacturing processes. Present development results at technical reviews. Communicate effectively within team and to engineering management on process development progress.
• Concept Process Design and Development: Responsible for completing Design for Manufacturing (DFM) reviews of new product designs, determine process feasibility and development options. Review process specifications and development plans with appropriate mold makers, contract manufacturers, prototyping services, equipment or other service suppliers.
• Equipment Selection: Assist with selecting and specifying primary and secondary plastic processing equipment. Develop project capital, product cost requirements and appropriations requests.
• Detailed Process Development: Responsible for process development plans and equipment optimization activities. Use process analytical tools, DOE methods, risk assessment, plastic part and mold design practices.
• Process Verification: Conduct FAT, IQ, OQ and PQ qualifications for molds and/or equipment and molding processes. Coordinate measurement and dimensional studies. Document results with detailed technical reports.
How will you get here?
• BS Degree in Mechanical, Chemical or Plastics Engineering
• Basic knowledge of mold tooling, plastic resins and fundamentals of processing equipment.
• Basic knowledge of plastic design analysis tools (Moldflow), design of experiments (DOE) and scientific molding practices.
• Demonstrated ability to analysis data and create technical reports.
• Understanding of mechanical drawings, solid models and mold flow comprehension. Proficiency in SolidWorks is a plus.
• Willing to travel domestically and internationally approximately 10%
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• Creative, innovative and critical thinking
• Analytical nature, responds positively to challenges and a problem solver
• Responsive, results oriented and task driven
• Self-directed, well-organized with ability to manage multiple projects
• Seeks out collaboration opportunities
• Excellent documentation, planning and organizational skills
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join