When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work. Surrounded by collaborative colleagues, you’ll have the support and opportunities that only a global leader can give you. Our respected, growing organization has an exceptional strategy for the near term and beyond. Take your place on our strong team, and help us make significant contributions to the world.
Thermo Fisher Scientific’s Life Sciences Mass Spectrometry Research and Development group has an immediate opening for a Research Scientist in Mass Spectrometry to play a major role in the design and development of technology critical to supporting Thermo Fisher’s position as the leader in mass spectrometry in our San Jose, California facility.
- As part of the New Technologies Research and Development team, conduct leading-edge research and development in the fields of API sources, ion optics, auto samplers, and sample preparation systems.
- Investigate and explore new ideas and concepts by defining experiments, building, debugging and characterizing prototypes in order to verify proof-of-principle.
- Provide guidance and leadership to mechanical and electrical engineers in order to design prototypes and new products.
- Manage and maintain required reagents, laboratory environment, and equipment needed to carry out project assignments.
- Maintains substantial knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories, and may contribute to scientific literature and conferences.
- Given the interdisciplinary nature of Life Science Mass Spectrometry, this role will require familiarity and interplay with the entire hardware team and several cross functional teams within marketing, product support and operations.
- File invention disclosures and participate in writing patent applications.
- Coordinate interdepartmental activities and research efforts.
- Bachelor's degree with 8+ years of experience in a product development lab designing and developing analytical instrumentation; or 6 years of experience with a Master's degree; or a PhD with 3 years of experience; or equivalent experience.
- Practical knowledge of atmospheric pressure ion sources technologies (ESI, APCI, PSI).
- Experience in developing custom instrumentation, software, and methods for analysis of complex samples including biological and environmental applications.
- Practical knowledge of quadrupole mass filters and ion trap technologies, ion optics design, and high vacuum systems design.
- Experience with HPLC methods, autosampler systems, and the ability to run relevant experiments.
- Strong communication (written and verbal) and presentation skills.
- Capable of working with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to travel (10%).
- Demonstrate Thermo Fisher Scientific values – Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement
- Familiarity with C, C++, Lua or Python programming.
- Experience in the analysis of mass spectrometry data.
- Working knowledge of ion trajectory simulation software (SIMION or CPO).
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join