About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $18 billion and 65,000 employees in 55 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Our four premier brands - Life Technologies, Thermo Scientific, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services - offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
Job Title: Accountant – Central Region
Reports To: Finance Manager
Group/Division: Life Sciences Group
Career Band: Band 6
Position Location: Inchinnan/Paisley
The central region of Life Science Group, under the financial controllership of the Centre of Excellence in Paisley
are responsible for eight legal entities in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Belgium including two manufacturing sites and a research and development facility generating annual revenue of $450M.
The successful candidate must be prepared to take ownership of the accounting for the Austrian entity as well as responsibility of reviewing other team member’s work, delivering accurately and timely results to be reported both internally and externally. They must demonstrate themselves as a knowledge leader in the accounting and reporting team. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated and detail oriented individual with excellent communication, computer and organisational skills relevant to the role. The candidate must be high-potential and have the ability to prioritise and follow through in a fast-paced, multitask environment.
- Ensure the timeliness, accuracy, and completeness of monthly close activities.
- Prepare and review accounting entries. Evaluate entries for completeness and accuracy
- Review other team members accounting entries. Evaluate entries for completeness and accuracy
- Review general ledger activity, researching and correcting account discrepancies.
- Perform and review balance sheet account reconciliations, including general ledger accounts and sub ledger accounts. Research and resolve any reconciling items on a monthly basis.
- Perform variance analysis including current-to-prior month/quarter/year fluctuations.
- Management reporting to Corporate accounting team through Hyperion
- Preparation of Statutory Accounts.
- Preparation and submission of government and other agency returns, including but not limited to Tax returns and government statistics returns.
- Coordinate accounting entries with other departments and accounting system modules.
- Assist in maintenance of documentation of policies, procedures and controls. Ensure compliance with Corporate Accounting policies, procedures and controls (Sarbanes-Oxley Act).
- Support requests from external and internal auditors as well as various groups companywide.
- Complete special projects as requested.
- Accuracy is required in performing all aspects of the role
- Able to organise and prioritise multiple complex situations
- High level of proactivity to drive continuous improvement
- Deep technical accounting knowledge
- Excellent communication skills to interact at various levels inside and outside the organisation
- Proficient in MS Excel
Minimum Requirements/Qualifications: - including Education & Professional Qualifications
- Qualified Accountant (CA, CIMA or ACCA - in-country equivalent)
- A number of years’ experience working a similar large corporate environment
- Drives Growth – creates a climate committed to excellence; Applies technical skills to analyse problems and calculate risks
- Develops People Including Self – practices self-development and champions employee development and growth
- Communicates Openly – communicates honestly and effectively with peers, manager and senior leaders
- Drives Continuous Learning – raises the bar on processes and results
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join