With 55,000 extraordinary minds on our global team, each one of us at ThermoFisher has an important story to tell. Whether we’re helping customers to fight disease, making sure our air is clean, or solving cold cases, our stories involve thousands of important projects that improve millions of lives. Our dedicated sales professionals are laser focused on delivering our customer value proposition - accelerating innovation and enhancing productivity. With talented managers and inspiring coworkers to support you, you’ll find the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Essential Job Functions and Accountabilities:
- This position plays a key role in our business of designing and developing industrial equipment used to provide long term solutions for our customers. There will be great responsibility to ensure smooth transfer of projects from development to production.
- Work on engineering projects containing critical problems, the solution of which requires major design advances and extensive related development and team coordination.
- Determine improved methods and/or procedures to optimize products, cost and schedule requirements.
- Be the mentor and technical role model for developing engineers.
- Develop standards and guides for diverse engineering activities.
- Develop & manage designs for existing products according to internal and customer specifications.
- Plan and manage product sustaining design/development efforts.
- Support cross functionally the launch of products/products lines from sustaining development efforts.
- Research, develop, and prepare specifications for product and process updates.
- Develop documentation and processes to ensure design, documentation, testing, and manufacturing requirements are met.
- Support design verification, process validation, and product builds are complete and ready for internal and 3rd party manufacturers.
- Identify potential risks and create contingency plans, while outlining realistic milestones.
- Maintain equipment designs in the global PDM database.
- Ensure that all designs are fully documented with detailed component specifications.
- Maintain approved manufacturers lists (AML) in ERP system.
- Execute, review, and manage Engineering Change Orders (ECOs).
- Work with the operations team to provide design for manufacturability input on equipment designs through the Engineering Change Order (ECO) process
- Create and coordinate detail and production drawings on custom designed equipment for global Project Engineering staff.
- Utilize engineering staff in India on design completion.
- Create, upload, and maintain Bills of Material (BOMs) in ERP system and distribute as required to global contract manufacturers
- Interface with global engineering, sales, and operations team members to execute custom engineering projects
- Project Management and coordination of design projects to meet quality, delivery and cost targets as needed.
- Participate in LEAN manufacturing practices between sites and 3rd party manufacturers.
- Participate in supplier qualifications/audits and interface with them on quality performance.
- In conjunction with various teams, develop and implement programs for improving supplier quality and lead the supplier non-conforming materials disposition process.
- Ensure all designs new and existing comply with occupational safety standards around the globe for machinery and equipment.
- Develop and/or maintain metrics to support the above initiatives.
- Bachelor of Science, or Bachelor of Technology, degree in mechanical or electrical engineering from an accredited college/university.
- Fluency in English required
- 10+ years experience designing industrial capital equipment.
- High proficiency with SolidWorks & AutoCAD
- Demonstrated past history of project management
- Understanding of manufacturing processes and how cost impacts the overall business
- Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems
- Enhanced PC knowledge and skill sets of utilizing Microsoft Office
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to lead and work in teams
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Ability to work across multiple countries, cultures, time zones and departments
- Knowledge & Lean manufacturing
- Master of Science, or Master of Technology, Degree
- Design Automation Experience
- Fluency in Spanish or Chinese
- Formal training in Statistical Process Control
- Failure Modes & Effects Analysis or other process improvement methodology.
- Experience utilizing process improvement tools in a manufacturing environment
- Experience in ISO and Regulatory Approvals
- Infor-XA ERP experience
- Electronics Design Experience
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all employee responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join