Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and 65,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Our four premier brands - Life Technologies, Thermo Scientific, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services - offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
Job Title: Technical Support Engineer
Reports To: Technical Support Manager
Group/Division: Specialty Diagnostics Group/ Anatomical Pathology Division
Career Band: 5
Job Track: Professional
Position Location: Runcorn, UK
To provide exemplary factory based Technical Support to Service Representatives and end user Customers of the company’s products. Reporting into the Technical and Applications Support Manager, the role will troubleshoot technical problems remotely via telephone or e-mail and occasionally on the clients’ premises.
Qualifications and Experience:
The successful candidate for this full time position will have a background in, electronics/mechanical engineering or similar and ideally have previous relevant experience in a similar role undertaking technical support or field/depot repair of instrumentation with a formal Engineering qualification.
The ideal candidate will have a logical & systematic approach to problem solving & decision making, and possess excellent communication skills. S/he will be able to prioritise workloads and work to tight deadlines, demonstrate a good attention to detail and have a proven ability to work both independently of and within a team. S/he will have good Microsoft Office skills, especially with Outlook and Excel. Finally, s/he will be able to demonstrate a methodical approach to the preparation of technical reports, bulletins and other documents.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Troubleshoot & resolve technical issues to a global customer base via telephone & e-mail and provide remote diagnostic analysis and monitoring. And Issue technical updates via Service Bulletins (60%)
- Create and deliver training courses to global support partners. This training can be on site or worldwide (10%)
- Assist in returns handling process, including repair of returned units in Depot Repair (10%)
- Liaise with Engineering, Quality to obtain & provide feedback on instrument performance to clients (10%)
- Participate in New Product Development projects, providing service and technical input, and ensuring new products meet with requirements of customers and global support teams. (10%)
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join