When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Fisher BioServices, part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, is the industry leader in the management of critical biological materials to support the advancement of cell therapy, GMP biologics, and population-based public health research. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. We offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support. http://www.fisherbioservices.com/
This position oversees the operations of the biorepositories. His/her job includes managing the staff in their varied responsibilities, responding to the client and technical advisers to the contract. The Project Director is responsible for administering federal, state, local and company policies related to biological and chemical safety, technology transfer, and animal and human use of contract materials. S/he is responsible for managing the contract budget to stay within funded budgets and to maximize value provided to each client. The Project Director must manage the operations staff and management team to be responsive to the scientists who depend on the contract for their research needs.
- Responsible for the Biosample Repository daily operations, staff and facility management. Respond to all contract deliverables and statements of work.
- Prepares monthly, quarterly and annual reports according to contract requirements. Meets the requirements of the small-business subcontracting plan (where applicable), control costs to meet contract budgetary restriction. Serves as the primary contact for all technical aspects of the contract interacting with the Contracting Officer’s Representative, other government personnel as appropriate, and Project Managers of university contracts.
- Develop annual operating budget and capital budget for the repository and meets budgetary goals. Monitors and approves all repository expenses. Reviews and approves monthly vouchers to ensure accurate expense reporting to meet targets.
- Provides oversight to ensure all personnel issues are addressed including performance management and development of employees, writing job descriptions, establishing and enforcing employee work and leave schedules; interviewing prospective employees andproviding recommendations to HR for hiring, firing and promotion of employees; and resolving employee conflicts and issues.
- Directly supervise and mentor Assist Project Director and Project Associate.
- Review and approve all controlled documents supporting contract operations. Work with repository managers in the development and refinement of procedures. Ensure alignment of project Quality Plan with BioServices Quality System.
- Responsible for development and presentation of site specific occupational safety and health training in accordance with federal, state and local regulations and company policy.
- Ensure that all employees adhere to Corporate and BioServices policies and procedures. Must demonstrate and promote our core values, communicate new policies and serve as a Role Model Leader to employees.
Education/Training – PhD in biological sciences required.
Business Experience – 5+ years of management/supervisory experience. Budgetary management responsibility; experience with financials, including procurement rules, accounts payable and receivable. Strong experience with logistics management.
Knowledge/Skills – Detailed knowledge of biorepository operation, including storage and handling at low temperatures. Safe handling and disposal of biohazardous materials, familiarity with OSHA, DOT, and lATA requirements for storing, handling, delivery, and shipping of infectious materials.
Working Conditions –
Environment – The position is primarily situated in an office environment. There is occasional need for support in the biorepository operation.
Physical Requirements – Must be able to lift 10 pounds; must be able to use a computer up to 8 hours a day, must be able to handle materials frozen on dry ice (-78C) or liquid nitrogen (-195C) for up to 4 hours a day
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services. Apply today at http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join