With 55,000 extraordinary minds on our global team, each one of us at Thermo Fisher has an important story to tell. Whether we’re helping customers to fight disease, making sure our air is clean, or solving cold cases, our stories involve thousands of important projects that improve millions of lives. Our dedicated sales professionals are laser focused on delivering our customer value proposition - accelerating innovation and enhancing productivity. With talented managers and inspiring coworkers to support you, you’ll find the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Job Title: Project Engineer II
Business Unit: Materials and Minerals, Bulk Material Handling
Division: Chemical Analysis Division
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Reports to: Engineering Manager
The primary responsibilities of this position include engineering, managing and controlling costs of small, medium & large projects under the direction of Senior Engineering staff in South Africa, USA and Australia. Working closely together with the global design team to ensure most up to date equipment designs are used in all projects.
Essential Job Functions and Accountabilities:
- General project management consisting of the following:
- Project planning and scheduling
- Creating and controlling of BOM’s for projects
- Controlling of cost
- Managing the design of the equipment as well as any associated disciplines
- Managing of suppliers and sub-contractors on projects
- Quality control and assurance
- Liaison with the customer from project start to sign off of customer
- Work with the design engineering staff to modify or alter standard equipment to suite specific applications and/ or requirements
- Manage and monitor comprehensively the quality process, this entails the following:
- Ensure the initial specification documents meet build requirements
- Ensure the operation manuals created, comply with the equipment functionality, maintenance requirements and quality standards
- Verify that the data documents comply with the prescribed quality standards of the company
- Ensure that all work/ equipment supplied by suppliers and contractors are as per orders placed
- Perform or assist with operational checks from a mechanical and electrical perspective on all equipment where required
- Assist with creating initial proposals and cost estimates for the commercial department
- Assist with expediting of equipment from suppliers and sub-contractors on projects/ engineered jobs
- Understand basic PLC programming
- Verify electrical panel design against function and specification
- Accompany sales engineers & service engineers to customers and sites where required on initial proposals, installed applications and problematic equipment
- Maintain approved manufacturers lists (AML) in ERP system
- Interface with global engineering, sales, and operations team members to execute custom engineering projects
- Project Management and coordination of design projects to meet quality, delivery and cost targets as needed
- Participate in supplier qualifications/audits and interface with them on quality performance.
- In conjunction with various teams, develop and implement programs for improving supplier quality and lead the supplier non-conforming materials disposition process
- Develop and/or maintain metrics to support the above initiatives.
Other Job Requirements:
- Approximately 50% travel
- Bachelor of Science, or Bachelor of Technology, degree in mechanical or electrical engineering from an accredited college/university.
- Fluency in English required
- 2+ years experience in an industrial environment.
- High proficiency with SolidWorks & AutoCAD
- Demonstrated past history of project management
- Understanding of manufacturing processes and how cost impacts the overall business
- Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems
- Enhanced PC knowledge and skill sets of utilizing Microsoft Office
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to lead and work in teams
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Ability to work across multiple countries, cultures, time zones and departments
- Knowledge & Lean manufacturing
Preferred Qualifications/ Qualities:
- Formal training in Statistical Process Control
- LEAN manufacturing
- Failure Modes & Effects Analysis or other process improvement methodology.
- Experience utilizing process improvement tools in a manufacturing environment
- Experience in ISO and Regulatory Approvals
- MAPICS and or ACCPAC experience
- Electrical/ Instrumentation knowledge
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all employee responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join