Job Title: Senior Applications Specialist - GC and GC-MS/LC and LC-MS
Reports To: Applications Development Manager
Group/Division: Analytical Instruments Group/GC & GCMS
Career Band: 6
Job Track: Professional
Position Location: Runcorn
This is a key role to support the applications efforts of the GC GC-MS business by developing application collaterals and additional marketing materials to help communicate the value proposition of GC and GC-MS products portfolio to target markets. In addition, another key function of this position is to drive success in assigned key marketing collaborations through and applications support. Finally, the role supports the customers and the wider Thermo Scientific GC GC-MS marketing organization as a technical resource and reference.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ownership of applications projects for the Business Unit by coordinating internal meetings, scientific panel discussions, internal and external reviews
- Align application efforts from the Business Unit with those from the Division
- Execution and generation of application collaterals and customer testimonial that clearly demonstrate the value proposition of Thermo Scientific GC, and GC-MS instrumentation for target markets, as directed by the Team Manager. Specific activities include:
- develop methodology and applications through laboratory analytical projects from sample preparation to data reporting including the development of new analytical methods.
- supervise and deliver of assigned key marketing collaborations to ensure that the BU investments are maximized.
- Generation of required scientific collaterals from collaborations to generate scientific publications.
- Working with other Thermo Fisher Scientific specialists and R&D within the Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry division.
- Provide expert analytical support to external (customers, collaborators) and internal (sales force, chemists) resources related to GC and GC-MS products and applications.
- Work with facilities and site leadership team to ensure site policies and procedures are adhered to with respect to applications work
- Manage consumable and chemical inventories associated with GC-MS applications works
- Ensure that all instrumentation is maintained within the required factory specifications before and after applications projects.
- Ensure equipment log maintenance as appropriate and manage laboratory quality procedures and processes.
- Provide technical training to colleagues.
- Provide necessary marketing and applications support for the GC & GC-MS business unit where necessary :
- Frequent presentation of scientific data and marketing collateral at key events and through webinars
- Support trade show activity
- Support regional applications requests
- Training of regional product marketing and applications specialists.
- Undertake laboratory work to support projects related to existing products and to the introduction of new products.
- Provide necessary applications support in customer and collaborators laboratories.
- Feed voice of customers (VOC) and competitor information back into the business unit.
- Manage assigned key marketing collaborations to ensure that the BU investments are maximized.
Decision Making Authority:
Occasionally required to make project decisions independently from Team Manager. Maintenance of expenses within agreed targets as defined by the Marketing Director.
Expected to be in the range of up to 30% (domestically & internationally).
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Minimum Bachelor of Science Degree or equivalent:
- Chemistry or related discipline or a clear, demonstrable industrial experience in a relevant area.
- Preferred Master’s or Ph.D. in Chemistry or related discipline with experience using high resolution accurate mass (HRAM) analytical instrumentation such as GC-MS or LC-MS.
- Proven experience within the scientific instrument business or applied to using high resolution accurate mass (HRAM) GC/LC-MS technologies.
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- Profound understanding and proven technical experience of high resolution accurate mass analytical instrumentation such as GC-MS/LC-MS operation and maintenance.
- Keen customer focused outlook and attitude.
- Teamwork oriented with collaborative style.
- Ability to present ideas clearly and concisely within a public setting.
- Highly motivated with ability to take initiative.
- Process oriented with attention to detail.
- Ability to deliver on time results supporting product team initiatives is essential.
- High level of technology fluency to understand and properly communicate the technology associated with assigned products; in addition to providing a reference for the wider organization and customers.
- High level of IT competence including Microsoft Windows and associate applications.
- Proven reasoning abilities and sound judgment.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Full driving license in position location
- Handling of various equipment (Instrumentation, materials associated with laboratory work and computers etc) frequently required.
Level of Physical Requirements:
- Ability to read computer screens, paper documents and equipment.
- Ability to understand and communicate highly technical information.
- Ability to produce appropriate applications documentation using appropriate equipment, including the use of wet chemistry as necessary.
- Well-lit, open plan offices and labs. Regular travel to domestic and international destinations is required. Frequent and safe use of hazardous chemicals.
Interaction with Others:
This position requires frequent contact with outside customers, distributors as well as Thermo Fisher Scientific teams. Internal contacts are required both within and between departments. Communication skills must be of such a level as to negotiate problem resolution throughout the division and externally with customers and suppliers. Interactions include written and oral communication with scientific professionals, frequent meetings, telephone and email communication with prospective and current customers, and occasional participation in product demonstrations.
Quantifiable Performance Measures:
On time completion of assigned activities, within quality and performance requirements as defined by the Team Manager is expected.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join