The Senior Buyer performs all functions needed to ensure the lowest total cost of purchased materials and services for a site. The purpose is to balance the objectives of maximum product availability with strategic inventory plans. Some products may be purchased from key suppliers, and replenished to the Distribution Centers. The Senior Buyer participates in negotiations and commodity teams to implement proactive procurement philosophies (JIT, Consignment, Reverse Auctions, E-commerce), strategies, policies, and procedures for successful integration into multiple business plans across various corporate departments. The Senior Buyer will be responsible for identifying, negotiating and implementing cost savings initiatives working with cross-functional teams. A history of strong project management and relationship building skills are critical to this position.
Additionally, the Senior Buyer will be responsible for preparing data and analyzing inventory trends, external and internal key performance metrics, and proposing process improvement and the generation or management of key reports, metrics, and projects. This is a service position and is responsive to the needs of internal and external (suppliers) customers.
- Maintain continuous material availability and minimize inventory.
- Negotiate the purchase of materials, equipment and supplies from suppliers.
- Solicit quotations for materials and services, analyze bids for specification compliance, pricing, delivery commitments, and evaluate the sources to ensure they can sustain providing goods and services.
- Manage cost savings projects and work with cross-functional teams to drive cost savings
- Monitor supplier and product performance to ensure compliance with contractual obligations.
- Process expense and blanket purchase orders. Negotiate delivery, terms and conditions, pricing, and expedite/follow through on receipt and payment.
- Communicate effectively with suppliers and management of accounts, problem solve challenges and issues, recommend solutions. Manage supplier relationships.
- Support supplier risk mitigation activities.
- Maintain databases for supplier and product data as required.
- Support New Product Introduction activities.
- Participate in purchasing performance metrics, reporting and improvement.
- Provide procurement process and procedural support as required.
- Support continuous improvement and operational excellence processes.
- Complete special projects as assigned and provide manager support as required.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in the sciences, business, or engineering, or equivalent work experience.
- Requires a minimum of 5+ years of relevant experience in procurement and supply chain. Additional experience in planning, manufacturing, quality, or engineering disciplines desired.
- E1 and/or SAP working knowledge is preferred. MRP knowledge and ERP experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Computer proficiency required in Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint, and Word.
Knowledge of procurement processes and strategic supplier management required.
Knowledge of business concepts/principles (terms and conditions, transportation, accounting) required.
Basic knowledge of supply chain programs (Consignment, JIT, VMI) and ability to manage project
Demonstrated negotiating experience and results required.
ISO or equivalent system and change control (FDA, cGMP) experience required.
Experience in invoice reconciliation and inventory management required.
- Organization process knowledge desired.
- Anticipates needs and problems while creating solutions.
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency, contagious optimism and a “can do” attitude.
- Is curious, inquisitive, innovative , never satisfied with the status quo.
- Greets challenge and change as opportunity.
- Has courage and confidence to take risks and learn from mistakes.
- Is authentic, transparent and leads by example, holding self and others accountable.
- Collaborates with others.
- Stretches across borders, breaks silos and builds effective partnerships with internal customers and colleagues.
This position is not eligible for relocation benefits.