The Technical Applications Scientist is responsible for providing support through phone, email and webex to customers and Field personnel in Singapore and South East Asia with a focus on Next Generation Sequencing (NGS), Capillary Electrophoresis Sequencing (CE) and qPCR.
- Provide technical support including troubleshooting, webex-based customer education, and general support of Thermo Fisher Scientific solution used in the entire NGS, CE workflow and molecular biology products, including consumables, instruments and applications.
- Provide customer support on technical issues by utilizing all available resources, and escalate issues or problems when warranted.
- Participate in frequent training on products and continuing education on new applications and technologies to remain at the cutting edge of scientific knowledge.
- Accurately record pertinent information from customer contacts in Customer Relationship Management system.
- Summarize trends and technology as technical tips, FAQ’s and troubleshooting guides.
- Recommend changes to knowledge databases, website, and other company-managed databases of technical information.
- Work closely with sales and marketing, QA/QC, research and development to address customer concerns, determine corrective action and customer follow-up.
- Present technical updates to colleagues and contribute to department meetings.
- May present technical and product information at trade shows and in customer field visits.
- Participate in additional special team or individual projects.
- May be required to perform other related duties as opportunities arise.
Nature and Scope:
- The Technical Applications Scientist has contact with internal and external customers on a daily basis. It requires the capability to exercise judgment within broadly defined department procedures and policies, to evaluate individual situations and data, and select appropriate criteria and methods for solving complex customer issues.
- May be asked to determine new methods and procedures on special assignments and may be asked to provide guidance to other team members.
- Over time, expected to perform routine work independently with only general direction given for new assignments.
- Job encounters typical recurring work situations, with occasional variations from the norm involving a moderate to high degree of complexity where decisions are made within policy constraints.
- Occasionally, situations may warrant action outside of department guidelines, in which case representative is encouraged to share solutions with Team Leader prior to action.
- May be asked to serve on cross-functional teams to provide expertise and to represent customer perspective and needs.
- Extensive experience with Next Generation Sequencing, Capillary Electrophoresis Sequencing and Molecular biology, instruments and applications.
- 3+ years of laboratory experience in molecular biology techniques are necessary.
- Experience in Clinical Diagnostic workflows will be an added advantage.
- Proven technical writing capabilities
- Proven ability to quickly learn large amounts of new, complex technical information
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing, to customers and colleagues
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Problem-solving ability
- Computer literacy, including spreadsheet, database, word processing and Internet applications
- MSc or PhD in Life Science like Genetics, Molecular Biology or similar field.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join