Pushing the boundaries of discovery
With more than 60 years of innovation and leadership, our company enables customers to find meaningful answers to questions that accelerate breakthrough discoveries, increase productivity, and ultimately change the world. We design, manufacture, and support the broadest range of high-performance microscopy workflows that provide images and answers in the micro-, nano-, and picometer scales.
Combining hardware and software expertise in electron, ion, and light microscopy with deep application knowledge in the materials science, life sciences, electronics, and natural resources markets, the worldwide team of 3200 people is dedicated to our customers’ pursuit of discovery and resolution to global challenges.
Thermo Fisher Scientific acquired FEI Company in September of 2016 as a part of the Analytical Instruments Group (AIG) in the newly-formed Materials and Structural Analysis Division (MSD).
Check out these videos to get more insight in what it means to work on our complex High-Tech Transmission Electron Microscopes (TEM). These high-end tools are being produced and developed in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
•FEI’s corporate organization https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABSxT6Y099I
•Inside the FEI Titan Transmission Electron Microscope https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wEmsDh_l_A
•How to make a microscope https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W6J_f4yVVg
•The installation of a Talos System at the University of Chicago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40rTgRq7iD0
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
As the world leader in serving science, we empower our people to advance innovative technologies, develop meaningful solutions, and build rewarding careers. With revenues of $18 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our 55,000 extraordinary minds the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
A part of the TEM R&D organization is the Manage Sample Group. This group is responsible for Sample Manipulation (stages), Sample Transfer (loading, transport), Sample Conditioning (cryogenic), Sample Stimulation (electrical, heating), etc.
As Mechatronics Engineer you will be part of enthusiastic multi-disciplinary teams which are responsible for the realization of various mechatronic modules for our high end microscope. You will work closely with a team of mechanical/electronics/software engineers, architects, project manager, suppliers and disciplines outside R&D like operations and service.
You will typically be involved in 1 to 3 projects or activities in parallel. In these projects designs grow from a conceptual idea to finished product for our customers. As Mechatronics Engineer you will be responsible for integration, tuning and testing of these mechatronic modules on our high end microscope. You will verify functional and non-functional requirements to safeguard product quality. You are responsible for all integration and testing activities throughout the development process. The decisions made by you and the team you work with, will have direct business impact. You have a proactive attitude and you are eager to learn new skills.
Duties and responsibilities
• Develop high tech mechatronic modules with cost, specifications, reliability and timing in mind.
• Review and contribute to requirements and designs, and assess risks on module and system level.
• Contribute to, or organize FMEA’s and SRA’s with a multi-disciplinary, project ascending scope.
• Write test plans, test designs and test cases, covering functional, life time and reliability tests (including Test to Failure, Hass and HALT tests).
• Design, realize and maintain test rigs for various modules in the Manage Sample domain.
• System control tuning and motion control parameters management
• Integration activities on our high end microscopes
• Execute or supervise the execution of manual and automated tests, analyze test results and write clear progress and recommendation reports to the project’s stakeholders.
The successful candidate will possess the following combination of education and experience:
• Technical Masters or Bachelor’s degree in Mechatronics, Mechanical or System Engineering, or Applied Physics.
• 2-5 years of relevant experience and proven results in a similar function.
• Experience with high tech mechatronic modules for professional industry.
• Experience with FMEA, Safety risk analysis, tolerance analysis and Design of Experiments is a preference.
• Experience with Matlab, Simulink, Vision, xPC, NYCe4000, ProDrive, motion control and C++ is a preference.
We seek candidates that take initiative, are self-steering, self-confident and conceptual thinkers. Outside of excellent communicator, you’re a team player and can switch easily to any level in our organization. You have perseverance, are decisive and eager to learn. You combine a strong analytical view with a pragmatic attitude and are able to flex yourself in a dynamic product development environment. You are value oriented and able to set and act according priorities at the same time.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join