Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
Fabricates, repairs and modifies molds, tooling and other equipment components to minimize machine downtime, ensure product quality and reduce dependence upon outside vendors; performs tool and die work.
Essential Job Functions
- Examine broken or malfunctioning parts for damage, wear or other defect and determine repair ability.
- Recommend replacement where repair costs would exceed replacement cost.
- Fabricate parts using manual or numerically-controlled machinery, including lathes, grinders, welders, etc, to achieve functional requirements within allowable tolerances.
- Maintain supply of materials, tools and supplies, and maintain tooling machinery for safety, operability and cleanliness.
- Communicate with quality, molding, maintenance and other employees to determine needs, prioritize work and ensure critical needs are met.
- Train apprentice-level toolmakers as needed or assigned.
- Prepare (or assist in preparation of) capital expenditure requests by estimating costs of equipment.
- Other duties as assigned
Education: Associate Degree or technical certification/licensure or equivalent training and/or experience, with focus on tooling, mold making and machining.
Experience: 5 to <8 years experience related to manufacturing, tooling, drafting, metallurgy and related areas.
Other skills and abilities required include:
- Knowledge of proper use of measuring tools/gauges and cutting tools.
- Understanding of blueprints and routers.
- Excellent communication and basic math skills.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards
- Ability to work on complex projects with general direction and minimal guidance.
- Ability to understand any and all safety requirements and cautions
- Ability to perform the physical labor necessary
- Ability to concentrate visually at high intensity while operating machinery.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Exposure to machine environment.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join